Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #1
vitorioso

vitorioso's Forum Picture

Name: Virlet
Default Repeat questions, what to do with them

This is just a mild suggestion I have, though it can help with the current situation it is not going to entirely fix the problem. On sub-forums like Puberty 101 and Teen Sexuality, I am almost certain that a majority of new posts are along the lines of "Is being gay ok?", "Am I going through a gay phase?", "I think I am bi?", etc. There is nothing wrong with these posts, but there are so many of them that asks the exact same vague question that has already been answers on many previous occasions that it is a hassle of the forum's members to answer on repeat occasions. I think that (if there isn't one in existence already) we should have a sticky on such forums that link to well-written answers to many of these questions asked in the past. Not only should repeat questions go down, but also those who have these questions have a wealth of good answers that can help them make their decision. If one still is confused, then making a new thread is fine, imho.

Thanks for reading this suggestion. It is okay if this doesn't get implemented, I just think that it would be a good idea.

All is in your favour, young hearts,
So take advantage of some fleeting happiness.

For in the winter of our years, Love reigns no more,
Those summers of love will be lost, lost forevermore.

Hello, I'm Virlet, 16, and I love Baroque music.
vitorioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Jupiter
Banned

Name: Matty
Default Re: Repeat questions, what to do with them

This itself is a repeat "question."
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3
vitorioso

How so?

Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:42 PM   #4
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

I think it's comforting for members to be able to create their own threads with their own personal details, even if there are others very similar to it. One of the main purposes of the site is for teenagers to have their questions answered rather than reading blocks and walls of text. That's why they joined a supportive forum rather than googling answers for their questions. They want to see where they stand with other people their age rather than reading through statistics and facts. I've never liked the idea of doing this because I too at one time was one of those kids posting general, repetitive questions. I, and I imagine the majority of the members here, like getting answers geared towards them; directly for their attention opposed to reading old threads and answers from other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even2 View Post
How so?
It's a "repeat question" because it's been brought up in the past. It's not a new suggestion. It's one that has been brought up in here, as well as in The White Padded Room, and has never been implemented for what I believe is what I answered with.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:50 PM   #5
vitorioso

Hmm. I guess this (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=125182) basically answers my question, along with ImCoolBeans' opinion on it. So, instead of trying to curb the amount of posts and just letting members ask the questions (which I now understand why), why not try to at least make the already existing sticky more public? I must admit I don't check stickies when I post either, but the information on **The Big Sexuality Sticky - This WILL Answer Your Question!** is very valuable for somebody. Along with asking their question, it can also help them make a knowledgeable decision.

EDIT: Oh, I noticed ImCoolBeans made the sticky . Good job on it.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:56 PM   #6
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even2 View Post
Hmm. I guess this (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=125182) basically answers my question, along with ImCoolBeans' opinion on it. So, instead of trying to curb the amount of posts and just letting members ask the questions (which I now understand why), why not try to at least make the already existing sticky more public? I must admit I don't check stickies when I post either, but the information on **The Big Sexuality Sticky - This WILL Answer Your Question!** is very valuable for somebody. Along with asking their question, it can also help them make a knowledgeable decision.

EDIT: Oh, I noticed ImCoolBeans made the sticky . Good job on it.
Thanks, man

But the stickies are already as public as they can really get. They're displayed at the tops of the sections forever. I personally post links to stickies as a reply explaining the basis of it every so often, mainly in Teen Sexuality from what I remember off of the top of my head. But there isn't really much else to do about it.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Donkey
Retired Administrator

Donkey's Forum Picture

Name: Jon

We already have stickies for this purpose, but people still make their own threads it's not a big deal, and some people think it's the best way to get help

Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #8
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
We already have stickies for this purpose, but people still make their own threads it's not a big deal, and some people think it's the best way to get help
This, I mean take Puberty 101 forums. We have a sticky for penis size questions, cut/uncut questions, ultimate survey and masturbation. Now if you care to look at probably the first say 7 threads you will probably see 75% of these questions could in fact fit in the appropriate sticky.

HOWEVER

People prefer to ask their own questions. I in fact did bring this up in a few suggestions at various different times. And I got the same answer. As was Jon gave so I learn to accept that. In fact I also know agree with it because people want to get the best help and asking individual questions is a more than good way to get the help or advice they need.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Origami
Mafioso

Origami's Forum Picture

Name: Joshua 'Relyh' Hyler

The only place this would be effective is here in Suggestions and VTHQ as I suggested quite some time back, but the simple thing is that it's unnecessary and a lot of work for staff that otherwise won't effect the site in any really positive way.

••• VT Convict 2011 • VT's Premiere Image Sig Maker •••

“Artists use lies to tell the truth while politicians use them to cover the truth up.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aves
Oh great, just what we need. Another text sig maker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Okay. That's it. I give up. From this day forth, I cease all efforts to try educating people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
Origami always and will be the best signature creator.
val <3 <3
Origami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Cognizant
Smoothie King

Cognizant's Forum Picture

Name: Patrick

If I think I understand what you mean....

We do have stickied threads that the Admins/Mods make for that, but do people really bother to read them? Nope.
Cognizant is offline   Reply With Quote