Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:15 AM   #1
TwilightFan
Junior Member+

Name: Ajda (haha, you probably can't pronounce it)
Default Dermatillomania

So, this might sound stupid to all of the people with real problems, but I'm really unhappy because of my skin. I have a lot of zits. Big, small, old, new, you find everything on my skin. And I think I wouldn't have them (at least not that much) if I just stopped picking them. And I can't. I feel like I'm addicted to picking zits. I have looked it up on the Internet and I found out that you can be addicted to picking zits - it's called dermatillomania. It says at Wikipedia that this ... illness is connected to OCD and I have OCD. We have it in my family and a lot of my relatives with OCD also like picking zits.
So, the problem isn't just my skin. Let's face it, I guess it won't go without a lot of powder, but I can live with it. The thing is, my mom is really angry with me because I pick my zits. I go to the beautician and my skin is a lot better since I started going there. But my mom says it's too expensive and that she won't let me visit my beautician anymore if I don't stop picking my zits. She also has OCD and likes picking zits, so when I first found out this two things might be connected, I thought she of all the people will understand the most. But she just says it's an excuse and that no such thing as dermatillomania exists. She says she can stop picking zits anytime she wants and that I can too. I don't know about her but I am really trying and I want to stop with it but nothing has worked for me yet. I can't stand a day without picking a zit. So how can I tell my mom I'm serious about dermatillomania? How can I convince her to let me visit a beautician once a month? Money is not a problem, I can afford it with my allowance. And, also, if anyone has the same problem, how are you dealing with it?
Sorry for bad English ... Hope you still understood everything!
TwilightFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #2
SilentCutter

SilentCutter's Forum Picture

Name: Sora
Default Re: Dermatillomania

I didnt think anyone else had this type of OCD. I pick the dried skin off my lips when theyre chapped. I have to pick it until its all off my lips. And it leads to my lips bleeding alot. Ive had this habbit since the 3rd grade. I still havent found a way to stop. Its embarrassing, people tend to think i got into a fight. Or they give me nasty stares. Maybe one day, well find a way to stop.

"Let the rain fall down and wake my dreams, and wash away my sanity."
SilentCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:41 AM   #3
TwilightFan
Junior Member+

Name: Ajda (haha, you probably can't pronounce it)
Default Re: Dermatillomania

I've had this problem as well. And I also sometimes bite hardened skin on my fingers, which looks kinda nasty. But that I got over. (At least I think so.) I mean, to me, it wasn't that hard, because I left it alone for a couple of days, I put some cream on it and it got better and then I had nothing left to bite. But the zits are always on my skin, cause I have a really impure teenage skin. So I can try to leave it alone for a couple of days, but at the end I just can't resist anymore. I guess I can hope zits will be gone when I'm in my 20s...
TwilightFan is offline   Reply With Quote