Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Old March 8th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Zeh Crazy
Member+

Zeh Crazy's Forum Picture

Default Misunderstanding Bipolar Disorder

I get really angry when people misunderstand this disorder. If I even get a tad bit irritated sometimes, people automatically assume "It must be your bipolar." If I display any sort of frustration, I've sometimes been told "Jeez, calm down, bipolar." Thing is, I've never been actually diagnosed with the disorder. However, several family members have been diagnosed, including both my mother and sister, so it's assumed that I have it. People shouldn't assume anyway.

It just really upsets me that people often make fun of and mock bipolar disorder. How would those people like to have intense anger and sadness at times and never know why they are so sad and angry? How misunderstood do you think people who have that feel? Things can be going so good and then it turns to shit. All because of a chemical imbalance. People who have bipolar disorder can't control it. It's part of their brain chemistry that makes them have trouble with their emotions.

A lot of emotional/mental disorders are mocked, but I believe that bipolar disorder is one of those that gets the rap most frequently. I don't see why anyone would make fun of someone for having a disorder that they can't control. Would you make fun of someone for having a heart condition or cancer? It's the same thing. You can't control it. It's all in your genes and the chemicals that make up your brain.

Does anyone have any experiences like I've had or agree with me?
Zeh Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #2
BassSwagg

BassSwagg's Forum Picture

Name: Noel
Default Re: Misunderstanding Bipolar Disorder

I agree. People will jokingly say "You might what to get checked for Bipolar." because I have bad mood swings and whatnot. The thing is they don't know I HAVE been diagnosed with Bipolar and struggle with taking my meds and staying in control everyday. I guess for some people ignorance is bliss and we're gonna just have to deal with rude, ignorant people.

Trying to forget someone you love, is like trying to remember someone you've never met.
BassSwagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
DarkHorses
Nice Poster

DarkHorses's Forum Picture

Name: Amanda

I know what you mean. I'm bipolar, and I often feel self conscious about it, so obviously it doesn't help to hear people make jokes about the disorder. I think that the main reason people make jokes is because they don't understand. They don't see that bipolar disorder is really a serious thing, so they make lightly of it. People often mock things they don't understand. I don't know why, but they do.

The important thing is that you don't let the negative comments make you feel self conscious about yourself, or affect how you see yourself. It's a good thing that you understand mental illness, and that it's not something to be joked about. That's something to be admired.

We are the dark horses, and the world is ours.
DarkHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #4
georgiamay
Awesome Poster

georgiamay's Forum Picture

Name: Georgia

Yeah, I get really annoyed when people say things like "God you're up and down 5 times a day, it must be bipolar."
No, bipolar or not up and down 5 times a day... They also seem to think that by "up", it means you're happy. That's not what mania is like. It's not just "happy," it's manic and anxious.

People think bipolar is just mood swings, but it's so much more complex than that.
georgiamay is offline   Reply With Quote