Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 1st, 2012, 10:17 PM   #1
beebs
Member+

beebs's Forum Picture

Name: Laura
Default "Telling my mum" & Hospital.

Im so sorry i post on this thread so much, just cutting is a big part of my life at the moment

First thing: Im going to "tell my mum". I mean undirectly. Im going to the hospital with my friend, and they will tell my mum.

But im not sure when. Either tuesday or wednesday.

Tuesday, my mums at work, i have no school, it'll be easier to meet up with my friend.

Wednesday, my mums at work, i have school, but ill have less time.

Second thing: when you go to a hospital for selfharm, and your under 16, what happens?
beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy
Default Re: "Telling my mum" & Hospital.

First of all, is it the hospital that you really need? Would a GP surgery not be more appropriate. The Hospital is for emergencies. I would make an appointment with your GP.

When you go to your GP about self harm they usually ask you about it, how often you do it, why, how you feel etc. They have to get you to show them your cuts so that they can ensure there are no infections. They will ask if they can ring your parents and you'll be referred to CAMHS for counselling.

As for the hospital, the time I was in hospital for self harm/suicide attempt I was kept in all night and all the next day. I wasn't allowed out of the ward, when I tried to run away I had the police called on me and then some girl cut in the toilets and nurses started to panic and make me open the door when I went into the toilets alone. It won't be like that for you though, if it's not an emergency. They will probably tell you to go to your GP, just like I did.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:01 PM   #3
beebs
Member+

beebs's Forum Picture

Name: Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post
First of all, is it the hospital that you really need? Would a GP surgery not be more appropriate. The Hospital is for emergencies. I would make an appointment with your GP.

When you go to your GP about self harm they usually ask you about it, how often you do it, why, how you feel etc. They have to get you to show them your cuts so that they can ensure there are no infections. They will ask if they can ring your parents and you'll be referred to CAMHS for counselling.

As for the hospital, the time I was in hospital for self harm/suicide attempt I was kept in all night and all the next day. I wasn't allowed out of the ward, when I tried to run away I had the police called on me and then some girl cut in the toilets and nurses started to panic and make me open the door when I went into the toilets alone. It won't be like that for you though, if it's not an emergency. They will probably tell you to go to your GP, just like I did.
even when im suicidal?
beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:50 PM   #4
OnlyByTheNight.
Awesome Poster

OnlyByTheNight.'s Forum Picture

Name: Steve! =)

You probably won't be sent into hospital, I would advise you just to go to your GP and tell them, they will tell your mother and make you an appointment with CAMHS. That's what happened for me anyway.

~Failure is not falling down, it's not getting back up again~

~Laura was here~
OnlyByTheNight. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Aubrie

Aubrie's Forum Picture

Name: Aubrie

When my mom found out that I hadn't stopped, she called my family doctor. The office was backed up and they don't have a psychiatrist on staff, so they advised her to take me to the hospital even though I wasn't suicidal or anything. Of course, things may be different there.

I was 14 at the time. They took my blood pressure, weight, height, etc. - all the routine things. Then they took me to the psych room which was a room without anything that you could hurt yourself with basically. I had to wear blue scrubs so everyone on the floor would know that I was a psych patient. That was absolutely mortifying. They had me take a drug test. The nurse asked me a few general questions about it and then checked me over for fresh cuts/scars/infections. The nurse was rather cold towards me and I could tell that she was obviously annoyed that I inconvenienced her by being admitted as a psych patient. Then I had to wait for about an hour and a half for the psychiatrist to arrive. After she came, she asked my mom to leave the room and she asked me some more specific questions. Why I did it, how often, how deep, if I had a suicide plan, if I had a therapist, etc etc etc. She was very nice and understanding. After speaking with her, she gave my mom some numbers of local therapists and I was discharged. It wasn't too bad after I got past the cold nurse.

Good luck!
Aubrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM   #6
foreverautumn.

foreverautumn.'s Forum Picture

Name: Autumn

When I went to the hospital for self-harm I was 15. They didn't tell my mam and I was referred to counselling. I wasn't kept in or anything. I found it quite scary, but there was a nurse who was really understanding and good about it.
I have no idea how my mam found out, but she did, and she was scarily calm about it. We have a better realationship because of it now though.
Good luck!
foreverautumn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:03 PM   #7
georgiamay
Awesome Poster

georgiamay's Forum Picture

Name: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post

When you go to your GP about self harm they usually ask you about it, how often you do it, why, how you feel etc. They have to get you to show them your cuts so that they can ensure there are no infections.

You don't have to show your cuts. They'll ask, but I'm pretty sure you can refuse. I've refused quite a few times.

I agree with everyone else, it'd be better to go the the GP instead. They'll want to tell your parents, but they'll ask you first. They'll ask you a lot of questions about how often you do it, how you normally feel before and after you do it, how you feel in general, and probably if you've ever felt suicidal. If you say that you have felt like you didn't want to live, but that you've never had any plans or intentions to go through with it, they won't section or put you in hospital or anything, so don't panic. If you say you're intending to go through with it, then I'm honestly not sure what they'd do then, I've never been in that situation. There's a chance they might admit you to hospital, but there's a chance they won't.

They'll probably refer you to CAMHS or some other councilling service. Unless you have medical insurance, then your mum could get you to a counciller/therapist in a private hospital or centre.

The best thing to do is to be completely honest with them. You obviously want help, otherwise you wouldn't want to tell your doctor. You won't be able to get the right help you need if you don't tell them the complete truth.

Good luck.
georgiamay is offline   Reply With Quote