Notices

Closed Thread

Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith
Default My psychologist is worried.

I've been worried that I have schizophrenia for some time, most likely paranoid type. I finally looked up the criteria the other day, and I fit squarely.

I decided to bring it up with my psychologist. Well, instead of hearing her say that I'm not schizophrenic, that I'm just all I've been diagnosed with before, she doesn't act surprised when I say that. She nods her head, and says "Yes, I've been worried that you're schizophrenic."

So that did nothing for my nerves.

She's bringing her DSM book from her other office next time, so we can go over the criteria.

I'm really just freaked out. I don't mean this in a bad or offensive way or anything, but I didn't think I had... that much of a problem. Schizophrenia is serious business, not that other mental illnesses aren't, but you know what I mean.

I'm also worried, because if I am schizophrenic, where does that put me with my other diagnosed disorders? I'm pretty sure I could let go of social anxiety disorder, maybe OCD, but not being able to say I'm bipolar anymore? I don't think I could accept that. I'm not sure what I will still have, what I CAN still have, and what would be ruled out as a symptom of schizophrenia, but it's bloody making me burn a hole in the ground over it.

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #2
Doc. Crane .-.

Doc. Crane .-.'s Forum Picture

Name: Colson
Default Re: My psychologist is worried.

Just relax, let what will come, come. If you are scared, do something that will calm you down, play a game, watch a movie, just dont think too much of it. If this doesn't help, sorry....
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #3
TheSleepingInsomniac
Member++

Woha Rith carm down
It's just a label your symptoms are still going to stay the same all that's changed is how well doctors can treat you.
I know schizophrenia sounds scarer than other mental illness's eg you here teen girls saying they cut but got over it, have ocd coz their room has to be tidy, they have social anxiety cos they hate large groups where they don't know any one but you never hear "omg i have schizophrenia coz i (insert symptom here)"

Buy they way i'm talking about a specific subset of teen girls not all of them.

Thank you Rith

If you need me PM me
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Nevermore
Nice Poster

Nevermore's Forum Picture

Name: Sammy <3

I know it may seem scary, but think of it this way. You've been *blank* all your life. Does it really matter about what you call it. You've been able to deal with it, and find ways to cope, perhaps not in the best ways, but you're coping. Not only that but maybe your psycologist can teach you better coping methods in general so through anything you will be able to cope. Nothing is going to change. You are who you already are, despite what you have. In the end only the name changes to say well you have this because you act this certain way. I hope I'm making the least bit of sense, because I feel like I'm not. (thinks hmm perhaps someone slipped somehting in my tea..)
Why don't you think you can accept not saying you have OCD, bipolar, and social anxiety disorder? Shouldn't it be a good thing, that the number of disorders are less then saying I have now four things?

Charlie Girl and Ichigo are my Wiccan sisers
Animal Luverrr is my lil sis <3
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Thing is, I LIKE being bipolar. I am attached to it. The idea of even being borderline instead upsetted me. I really think I am bipolar, I don't think my mood problems can be associated with anything else anyway. It's very specifically bipolar. Though I did read that bipolar and schizophrenia are commonly misdiagnosed as the other, especially with the delusions and hallucinations that occur in both. My entire family is also bipolar as well. It's a pride issue, I guess.

And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Nevermore
Nice Poster

Ah, I think I understand. Perhaps you are bipolar then. Either way it doesn't change anything. It's just a word. If you feel in your heart you are bipolar, then you are.

Old March 4th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

But I'm dealing with psychosis as well T_T
I know I'm bipolar, but schizophrenia also sounds right. I just have mood issues outside of schizophrenia.
I don't know, I'm torn.

Old March 4th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Nevermore
Nice Poster

Perhaps you're a bit of both then? It could happen right? I'm not sure if it's possible, because I barely know anything about psycology. I'm sorry I'm not helping much. I'd say sit with your psycologist tell her I guess everything you've posted about you wanting to be bipolar, and how you think you are, however there are some lines that cross into schizerphrenia. Perhaps what could be happening is your bipolar disorder is developing into schizerphrenia? Again, I'm sorry I know barely anything about psycology, and I don't know if that's possible to say either. If you have a history of bipolar disorder, it's most likely biplar. Unless they were all misdiagnosed, or some had schizerphrenia. I know your dealing with a lot right now, and confused about what you have and how to get the certain help you need. Just know I"m here if you ever need someone to talk to. Please, don't hesitate to send an email or whatso ever, even if tis just a hello, or 80 pages of ranting, I will read it all and respond. I'm here for you Rith. <333 J

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #9
MadManWithaBox
Banned

Name: The Doctor.

Hope you don't have schizophrenia Rith. Its fucking killed me.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Quick_Sylver
I Am Who Was

Quick_Sylver's Forum Picture

Name: Niko/Sylver

Let what comes, come. Does the label matter? Even if you are Schizophrenic, why do you have to be, JUST that? Could it be possible that you're more than just that? Stop fretting and relax a little bit, things will be clearer with a calmer mindset.

Thank you Siobhan <3
Connor: We're not mean, you're just Canadian.
~Kyle Was Here, and Was Awesome~
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #11
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

I have to wait another week. We didn't have time to go over the bipolar disorder criteria to rule it out. She's still torn as to which I am.

On another note, she wants to do desensitization therapy to deal with my paranoia. Bleh. Desensitization is predominitely for phobias, to have the person face their fears and get over them. This will be fun. >.>

Old March 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #12
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Okay, so the final results: undecided.

Too early to know. If I'm schizophrenic, it hasn't fully kicked in yet. We'll have to wait and see what it looks like down the road.

For now, I'm without a label. And I think I'm happy about it now that it's official.

Old March 17th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #13
MadManWithaBox
Banned

Name: The Doctor.

Like I said. Hope your not. If you are, deal with it as it comes. If you're worried about it, ask me. I know about it, far too well.
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #14
Spook
Awesome Poster

Spook's Forum Picture

Name: Caitlin

Relax, just because you might get another label stamped on you doesn't mean that you are going to change in any way at all. PM me if you wanna talk.

Old March 31st, 2011, 02:52 PM   #15
vampireonion

vampireonion's Forum Picture

Name: Jessica

Disorders often overlap. It's not uncommon to have more then one. Many go together, as well. At least now you know and can be treated accordingly.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #16
Danielle

Danielle's Forum Picture

Name: Danielle

Chill out girl! If you had severe schizophrenia, believe me, you would KNOW. Voices talk to you to the point where they interfere with daily life, flat effect, etc., etc. If you're looking at the symptoms online and trying to self-diagnose - bad idea! A lot of the symptoms that go listed for schizophrenia (and other mental disorders) are very broad and even people that are perfectly normal mentally can experience them - or many of them at the same time (which is probably why some people turn to psychiatrists when they don't actually need them). And, as someone here already said, many mental illness criteria overlap and just turn into a big mess eventually if you're trying to figure out what exactly "is wrong with you." You are who you are since you are born - and you always will be. Don't obsess over labels, just live your life.
Old June 29th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #17
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

I'm the one who noticed this first strangely but please don't bump old threads, this one is three months old.

Closed Thread