Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 29th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Default Is this OCD?

Okay... not sure how to make this post make sense.

Ever since I can remember, I've hated odd numbers, lack of symmetry or things that aren't straight. I'm a classic case of absolutely needing to straighten the photo on the wall if it's not level.

The numbers: I hate odd numbers. If I'm adjusting volume, working on Picnik or Photoshop or cutting, I cannot have a number that is odd... unless it's an interval of five. Intervals of five are okay but whole numbers that end in a zero are the best. Even numbers are okay but intervals of five are better. I swear, my numbers have a hierarchy. If I'm adjusting the radio or something, it HAS to be the way I like it or it bothers me and makes me uncomfortable until I change it. When I'm cutting, I have rare exceptions... three cuts are reasonable, the night I did 421 was okay. For some reason, even if it was an odd number, it was a good number. Can't explain why. But the rest of the time, it has to be an interval of five or a whole number ending in zero.

It drives me nuts. If it's not that way, I cut more to make it okay. Strangely enough, math is not hard for me. It's just other things that bother me so much.

Symmetry is one of those things that I'm a perfectionist about, no need to go into further detail.

I am wary of self-diagnosing but this has been like this for ages. I always just thought it was normal. Sort of like my synesthesia, I grew up with it and therefore can easily live with it. It's not a huge disturbance anymore but on occasion it can get bad.
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Donkey
Retired Administrator

Donkey's Forum Picture

Name: Jon
Default Re: Is this OCD?

Being diagnosed with OCD makes no difference anyway. I was diagnosed obsessive compulsive years back, but it made no difference to anything. Unless it's extremely severe, medication will do more harm than good.

Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Deleted User
Legendary Member

You do have a very good point there. I'm firmly against medication unless it's really needed.
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:09 AM   #4
1_21Guns
Val's bitch. ;)

1_21Guns's Forum Picture

Name: Natalie

I'd say it's OCD traits from the information you've given, it's not quite OCD, just some of the mannerisms of it, such as the whole number situation and symetry things. Like Jon said, none of it will make much difference if you are or aren't. But I wouldn't say it's OCD, no

1_21Guns is offline   Reply With Quote