Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 26th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #1
screamtobeheard
Great Poster

screamtobeheard's Forum Picture

Name: Amanda
Question Don't think I have it...

So all my friends have convinced themselves that I have OCD, especially my best friend at school who has been endorsed by her doctor father and sister who has it. :/ I'm pretty sure I don't have it, because I don't think my symptoms are really OCD symptoms...idk.
I think the biggest thing with them is that I have to balance my left side with my right, but the way I balance it doesn't make sense. I have to do everything with my left side, even though I'm right handed. And if I do something with my right side, I have to do it repeatedly on my left (usually 2, 6, or a multiple of 5 times). And if someone touches my right side, I'll go around rubbing the corresponding part of my left side until it feels somewhat. If people touch that side too much, I'll have a mild anxiety attack. I always walk up the steps starting and ending with my left foot. All my money has to have the presidents' heads facing up and to the left. Little things. Sometimes I don't notice them, but I know I do a lot of things in a certain way a certain number of times every day or it stresses me out. Sometimes it's unconscious. Like, no matter what table I'm at, I always sit at the same spot. This was recently brought to my attention. But that doesn't equate to OCD, does it? I'm not obsessive about washing my hands or anything...she calls a lot of what I do "rituals." I don't know. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
screamtobeheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith
Default Re: Don't think I have it...

What you describe are actually OCD-like symptoms. You don't have to have all the same obsessions and compulsions to be diagnosed with OCD, you just have to have some. Not all OCs have an obsession with hand-washing, that's normal.

Ritualistic behaviour is very much an OCD trait. I think she has a point, but don't just take her word for it. See a professional and talk about it, and they'll be able to give their opinion.

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Syvelocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Spook
Awesome Poster

Spook's Forum Picture

Name: Caitlin

Agreed. I have OCD, and alot of what you describe are symptoms I have. You should talk to a therapist about it if these things are bothering you, because you can get help for it.

Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:17 PM   #4
screamtobeheard
Great Poster

screamtobeheard's Forum Picture

Name: Amanda

Hmm...I suppose I should talk to someone. It's starting to become detrimental to my general productivity.
screamtobeheard is offline   Reply With Quote