Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Closed Thread

Old November 29th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #1
curren

Post Video Game Depression?

Hi, im new to this site, but I have been reading a lot of the articles today, and I really wanted to congratulate the operators of Virtual Teen for having such an amazing site!

Anyways, im a highschooler. I am not very athletic, actually not at all. I dont find the joy in going outside and running around catching balls, it just doesnt click with me. What I do like to do is play video games. Specifically Counter Strike Source if anyone here plays, hah. But I am pretty sure that this game makes me depressed, maybe. Whenever I play, I feel great. I am actually pretty good, so its fun to actually win at something and have others look at me like that want to be me. The bad thing is that the game seems to suck out all my life. I dont really want to do anything but play, and I actually dont want to play that often either, its just like playing is my only option. But I have absolutely nothing else to do with my free time. My dad keeps encouraging me to go outside and run, or find some athletic sport. I just cant figure out what to do. I get sad sometimes. I dont often consider suicide because I know that it is a very bad thing to do. I dont really want to go to public functions, like at my church. the people that i used to hang out with now seem annoying. it seems that life would just be easier back on my computer.
This may sound completely crazy, but its like there is a kid inside of me who is just dying to go outside and play in the football game down at the park. But the kid is just covered up by this lazy apathetic person.
In the end I find myself always going back to this stupid game. At least on there I have some good fun. Is it possible that a video game could be causing my sadness/apathy?

Im sorry if I posted this thread in the wrong section
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Maverick
Retired Administrator

Maverick's Forum Picture

Default Re: Video Game Depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curren View Post
Hi, im new to this site, but I have been reading a lot of the articles today, and I really wanted to congratulate the operators of Virtual Teen for having such an amazing site!
Thank you, its nice to get positive feedback. Btw, welcome to VT.

You can't expect to stop playing video games until you find something else to do. If you don't have something else to replace the time then you'll be bored and go right back to it.

If the game is causing the problem, it may be best to get rid of it. I'm not saying break it, but put it somewhere unaccessible where you can't find it. Tell your dad to take it to work with him and leave it at his desk or something. Be creative. Then once the game is gone then you won't be able to play it.

So since the game is gone, then it should leave you wanting something to do. Sign up for a sport. You say you aren't sure, but try something and go with it. Just force yourself to sign up and promise yourself to commit to it.

The game is indirectly causing you to feel that way. What the problem is that you're lonely and don't have something to fill your time. It can be easily fixed if you find something else to do.

You just have to make the effort to do it. How badly do you want to get out of this cycle. You have to have the willpower to change. I'm sure you can do it.

Old November 30th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #3
thesphinx
Awesome Poster

thesphinx's Forum Picture

Welcome to vt! anyway I agree with Anthony that you need to find something to replace your video game. at first it may kind of suck to try something new like a sport or something, but once you find the one you like you will start to enjoy it as much if not more than your video games. making an effort is the key, find something physical to take your mind off the game when you get bored, even if you just go for a jog.

To answer your question on if this could cause depression the answer is a definite Yes.
When you do physical activity's your brain releases the chemical serotonin, which makes you happy, you can also start limiting how much video/computer time you have a day. and over time lower it.

Hope it works out for you.

-former-Psychiatric Ward & Help and Advice Moderator
Need help? You can talk to me anytime.
[email protected]
http://a377.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...a582553c18.jpg
-Michael

Last edited by thesphinx; November 30th, 2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #4
curren

I understand what your saying. I need to find a new "sport", if you will. My only fear, besides the trouble of actually finding a sport im good at, is I wont fit in with the people. I'm a nerd, i get along with nerds GREAT, but I really dont see myself hanging out with some of the jocks anytime soon. Then I'd be a loner in a whole new sport which I wasnt even that crazy about in the first place. Sorry, not sure if I'm veering off topic there.
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #5
Maverick
Retired Administrator

Maverick's Forum Picture

To be honest, people aren't as mean as you might think. I know sometimes you can't help but fear that they won't like you, but really there are a lot of nice people out there. Give them a chance. You just have to make the effort to talk to them but more than likely it will come naturally.

Old December 1st, 2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Hyper
VT Lover

Running and stuff arent the only sports in the world, you can be athletic without doing stuff like that but yeah..

I know what you mean, its not the game directly, obviously you have other ''issues'' but since it seems to me you've just started going down that road.. You should like Anthony said get rid of the game, so to speak, and find something to do.. Practically force yourself, as crude as it may seem

Good luck

I'm tough, rough, ready and able
To pick myself up from under this table
Don't stick no sign on me, I got no label
I'm a little sick, unsure, unsound and unstable

But I'm fighting my way back
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:26 PM   #7
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

Yeah, welcome to VT.

I think you've identified that the game is causing a problem, if it's the cause of your depression/sadness or the other way around is irrelevant. If it's a problem, then you'd do well to find the fix.

It's easier to diversify your life if you had other things you liked to do, and most often, for guys that's sports. There are alot of guys like you that don't like them, which only means it's not going to be as easy for you.

I think you might need to put yourself in a variety of situations with different activities and people to determine what it is that you enjoy. The first step might be to discard some of those preconceptions about what is acceptable or ok for you, and just do some of them for awhile. Force yourself, even.

We often get into habits, things we do 'just because we've always done them'. Sometimes they're compensatory, making uo for things lacking in our lives (like being online alot or playing vid games), and sometimes we just develop these habits. To break them, you have to (in your case) turn off the computer and get yourself involved in other things, maybe restrict yourself to less vid time.

Doesn't sound like this will improve on it's own, nor just because you've identified it as a problem. Next step might be to get out there and push yourself a bit for awhile.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM   #8
MAXD88

MAXD88's Forum Picture

Alot of my time is dominated by electronics as well, although I take breaks to read and/or draw every now and then. Sometimes I'll clean my room or something. Give yourself other tasks to focus on for a bit (it dosen't have to be athletic) and then you can get back to your game for a while.

For great Justice
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:22 PM   #9
curren

Wow, I cant thank yall enough for all the replies. I see that my life has come to a point, where I need to choose between RL and virtual. My question now is, can I have an active and happy virtual life, without really caring what happens in real life? Or must I forget about my virtual friends and start fresh on the real world? Does it matter which world, virtual or real, that one chooses to focus on, as long as you are happy? Im pretty darn sure ive veered off topic here, if an admin moved this to another place in the forums I wouldnt mind. Sorry about that.
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #10
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

I'm one who believes you really can't have 'virtual' friends. The internet is the internet, it's anonymous and faceless (even with pictures). They're just words on a screen. What you feel is the result of your own creation, it's in your mind. What you feel you create, it belongs to you. It's not the result of any real interaction, because the interactions you have online is, at best, unidimensional. To have a relationship or friend, you need it to be multidimensional. Words alone (which is all you get online) don't make a friendship. This is all for entertainment. Like a good book or movie.

Alot of times, people who are very lonely and needy make up for those voids in their life by hanging out alot online. it becomes a substitute for what they're lacking in life, so it's easy to actually believe the feelings we create about those words on the screen are real, that they're reflective of real feelings towards real people. But, I think the feelings one has is really the result of their own lonliness.

Go out there, turn the PC off, and meet some real people. There's simply no comparison between the 'Virtual' world and the real world.
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Syranus66

Life is objectively meaningless. There is no difference between reality and virtual world. Your mind can be satisfied by either or both. Does it truly matter which you choose? No, A human's life is just as much a lie as a cartoon character. Humans wander about their lives beleiving that there is some meaning or purpose to their existance. There is none, there is no grand scheme, no grand secret, there is only you. Your life is your own. Real life experiences and virtual are both meaningless in their own right. Don't let others tell you which to follow. Choose your own path, regret nothing for all of your choices shall forge who you become.
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #12
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy

Please do not bump old threads

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes