Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Fliyte

Fliyte's Forum Picture

Name: Lexi
Question is it true Schizophrenics have pshysic powers?

I am slightly schizophrenic, i see weird things often. i've been told schizo's have weird abilities. of course, i highly doubt this, but whatever.
I can completely stop thinking and sit in a weird position frozen for a long amount of time. i've been told this "harnesses your powers" (yes, because throwing fire balls is completely realistic). Why? Why do people say these things, why does this happen to me, and is it true?

:~*~Mariah~*~
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #2
BuryYourFlame
Awesome Poster

BuryYourFlame's Forum Picture

Default Re: is it true Schizophrenics have pshysic powers?

No, it is definitely not true.

I have never heard this before...so, this rumor, if you can call it that, most likely came from a lack of understanding regarding schizophrenia.

Declan
6 years on and I'm still here for some reason.
~Laura was here~
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Obscene Eyedeas
Awesome Poster

hes right and as for the sitting down staring into space frozen thing i can do that too and i dont suffer from this

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~ Stephen F. Roberts
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Asylum
Banned

Name: Songl

i may by schiz... and i do the frozen thing too.. however i'm sorry there are no super natural pwoers form schiz. at first i saw this and i wanted to post yes i can fly!! but... i htought it owuldn't help you much, and sarcasim and abnoxious comments are not needed, so i resisted... however i do sometimes pretend or act like someone else, well not someone else, i just take my personality like happieness, or acting girly or soemthing and i take it as a person, like if i'm girlly i'll act really abnoxiously girly that day, wear a huge pink bow, paint nails.. etc. happy... act extremely happy, like gosh this is hard to explain.. like i whear bright colors... when i'm depressed wear dark colors dress emo style.. etc.. its weird.. hard to explain..
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Zephyr
Retired Administrator

Zephyr's Forum Picture

Name: Steph

Some schizophrenia symptoms simply make you have the sensation of feeling like you're indestructible or are 'super' in some aspects. So no, schizophrenics do not have super powers. 'It's all in your head' so to speak, something that has to do with chemical levels and neurological processes. This isn't the best example, but think of it as taking hallucinogenic drugs, they make you have these delusions and hallucinations that aren't real.

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky.
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves a chance to fly.

✯ Alis Volat Propriis ✯
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:06 PM   #6
BruceWalt
Junior Member+

Name: Bruce

maybe one of you do
Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:31 AM   #7
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Certain psychotic symptoms entail thinking you're something you're not, such as being invincible. When one perceives this so strongly, it can make it seem as though it's true and one actually is invincible. However, in actuality, there are no "special powers" or psychic powers with schizophrenia. Sitting in a place for a long time trying to be still and not think is not schizophrenia. Catatonic schizophrenia involves staying in odd positions but not out of one's will, it's uncontrollable by the person, just as epileptic seizures are out of one's conscious control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magik5
i may by schiz... and i do the frozen thing too.. however i'm sorry there are no super natural pwoers form schiz. at first i saw this and i wanted to post yes i can fly!! but... i htought it owuldn't help you much, and sarcasim and abnoxious comments are not needed, so i resisted... however i do sometimes pretend or act like someone else, well not someone else, i just take my personality like happieness, or acting girly or soemthing and i take it as a person, like if i'm girlly i'll act really abnoxiously girly that day, wear a huge pink bow, paint nails.. etc. happy... act extremely happy, like gosh this is hard to explain.. like i whear bright colors... when i'm depressed wear dark colors dress emo style.. etc.. its weird.. hard to explain..
How does any of this relate in any remote way to having schizophrenia? Depending on your mood you act a certain way and dress a certain way, nothing to do with schizophrenia, might as well say you have social anxiety disorder.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:00 AM   #8
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Name: Fae, The Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphany View Post
Some schizophrenia symptoms simply make you have the sensation of feeling like you're indestructible or are 'super' in some aspects. So no, schizophrenics do not have super powers. 'It's all in your head' so to speak, something that has to do with chemical levels and neurological processes. This isn't the best example, but think of it as taking hallucinogenic drugs, they make you have these delusions and hallucinations that aren't real.
I think this is called psychedelia and not schizophrenia so do not mix the two together.
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #9
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer - X View Post
I think this is called psychedelia and not schizophrenia so do not mix the two together.
Both apply actually. Psychedelia occurs from sensory deprivation and when certain pharmacological agents are introduced that affect one's perception (i.e. the example Epiphany gave), so it's essentially done by choice. Schizophrenia results in similar or same symptoms but is not done by choice. Hallucinogenic drugs are used in research for schizophrenia for a reason and this is why. If you say schizophrenia is wrong, then you're saying it does not describe those symptoms and all the research involving that was a waste of time, effort and money.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Name: Fae, The Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
. If you say schizophrenia is wrong, then you're saying it does not describe those symptoms and all the research involving that was a waste of time, effort and money.
May be I didn't payed much on the symptoms detailed, and ventured my self off some where else.
Old February 24th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #11
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Name: Damien Ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliyte View Post
I am slightly schizophrenic

Define slightly schizophrenic. And BTW, I'm sure most people that think they have it really don't. All because you hear or see things does not mean you have this.

This topic is outrageous.

Old March 20th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #12
Kaya
Awesome Poster

Kaya's Forum Picture

Name: Kayla

sitting in a weird position for a long period of time is called catatonia..its not a special ability
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:57 AM   #13
Ryhanna
Awesome Poster

Ryhanna's Forum Picture

Name: Ryan

I'm pretty sure the TV "psychic"s and stuff got their "powers" from mental illnesses. I mean that in the nicest possible way, like the illness triggered it.

Basically, they're a bunch of fakes who make pretty average predictions..

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #14
cookedmind
Banned

ive heard schizophrenia referred to as "the shaman sickness" a period of illness that is a sort of initiation into changed perception that allows certain abilities. of course its not until you are very stable and healthy that this is going to be in any way functionally useful. and this level of health is very hard to achieve in the mainstream treatment system of drugs and lies. (untruths to be more accurate).

also
*do not take what i said about mainstream treatment as advice to not take meds*

Last edited by cookedmind; September 14th, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #15
Kaius
Banned

Name: Aaron

Don't bump old threads please
Closed Thread