Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Spook
Awesome Poster

Spook's Forum Picture

Name: Caitlin
Default OCD and New Member

Hi, VT! I am new and want to introduce myself. Well my name is Caitlin, I am 13, and my birthday just passed! I want to talk a little bit about a problem I had, and have (a little). It is called OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Here is my story with OCD: I was sitting in my living room watching TV and a Purell commercial came on. It showed a boy touching the door of a car, and germs crawling up his arms. This scared me, as I was very young, and I began to wash my hands alot. I constantly washed them, after every little thing I did. Before long my hands got dry, and in the winter they cracked and bled. My mom tried to make me wear lotion but I wiped it off because it felt sticky and gross. My OCD got worse. I would wear myself out trying to straighten everything. It got so bad I even started cleaning my sibling's rooms! Anything out of place got me to work, (just now I straightened the tissue box). My OCD got worse. I began to hear voices, one which said "I hate God." This scared me because I am very religious and I felt like I was sinning. After this, my OCD still got worse. The voices told me to do something, and if I didn't something bad would happen. So I would do things like say random words aloud, run across the room, pick up an object, or even do dangerous things. This started to become a problem, so, I went to a therapist. She made me do excersizes like rolling my hands in dirt so I could improve. This didn't work. What did work however (in a different therapist) was keeping a journal about the "OCD monster." I drew a picture on the cover of the journal, and I would keep a log of when I washed my hands, and thing that the "monster" told me to do. Well, I have been really successful in my battle. i no longer wash my hands excessively, I only occassionally hear voices (and have started to resist the urge to listen), and I clean and organize much less. I am really proud of myself, and so are my parents and siblings. I used to feal like a mental freak, afraid of what people would think. Kids would make fun of how my hands looked ugly and dry, and I felt bad. But now I don't get those comments, and i don't feel like a freak. I just recently got taken off my medicine, and I am doing fine. People say that you have to live with a mental illness, but I am proof that you don't. i hope to fully lose my triggers and urges within the next few years. Wish me luck, and I am so happy to have joined VT. TTYL!

Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:52 AM   #2
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith
Default Re: OCD and New Member

Welcome to VT

Hand sanitizer was my first obsession actually. I started collecting more and more, using it more. Then I had a compulsion with that stuff. I now have it with me everywhere. I'm not exactly a germaphobe, but I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so it kind of goes along with that.

I've never heard of voices being a symptom of OCD. They can occur sometimes in bipolar disorder, very often in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia also has OCD aspects, that's one reason why my psychologist thinks I might actually be schizophrenic instead, because I have the OCD plus psychosis with auditory and visual hallucinations and paranoia

Mental Illnesses usually always get worse before they get better. A lot of the time, they won't get better without therapy and/or medication. I'm happy you're doing well.

I'm keeping my OCD around though, I'm a horrible role model and I don't do meds outside my sleep meds and medication for my medical issues. They work for some people, others not so much. I want to learn to live independently from medication.

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Syvelocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Spook
Awesome Poster

Spook's Forum Picture

Name: Caitlin

Thanks for the comment! Wish you the best ~Caitlin

Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Nevermore
Nice Poster

Nevermore's Forum Picture

Name: Sammy <3

Welcome to VT! I was diagnosed with OCD a few months ago. I am a germaphobe so I know how you feel! I also hallucinate, and have extreme paranioa. I'm diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I'm glad your getting better!! Know your not alone. So if you need anyone to talk to I'm here for you girlie <3.

Charlie Girl and Ichigo are my Wiccan sisers
Animal Luverrr is my lil sis <3
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote