Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 1st, 2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Snake217

Name: Allan
Default New born OCD guy, any starter advices?

With new, i mean I just got diagnosed with it, not officialy, but ive seen lists of symptoms and I have almost all of them, so im sure I have it.

My family doesnt beleive in counselors, psychologysts, therapists, etc etc, loong story.

They dont beleive either on mental medications.

And in my school there are no counselors.

In other words, Im alone in this, so i wanted to ask, any advice for this? I dont specify any symptom, because i have many.

Thanks

Just saw in another post, someone recommended a phone number ot get help for OCD, but I dont live in USA, I moved to mexico long ago, so i dont have that phone chance either

Last edited by Snake217; February 1st, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Snake217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:49 PM   #2
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster

BeautifulDisaster's Forum Picture

Default Re: New born OCD guy, any starter advices?

You haven't been diagnosed with it, that is self diagnosing & it can be quite dangerous to do.

I'd seek professional help for a proper assessment.

Go & see your doctor & discuss this issue with him/her, & they should refer you to a mental health professional for an assessment.

You can't go on the assumption you have OCD because you have the symptoms, you need 1) a diagnosis made by a professional & 2) to see a professional for treatment options for the symptoms and/or the OCD if you have it.

You can't really do this alone, if it's that serious for you right now, I'd recommend getting an assessment & finding out what the problem is, and then treating it as necessary.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.
BeautifulDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Obscene Eyedeas
Awesome Poster

I agree wit the above post. self diagnosis is a dangerous thing you should avoid it and seek help

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~ Stephen F. Roberts
Obscene Eyedeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Snake217

You two are right, but as I said, I dont have any possibilty to see any kind of doctor, so I might have OCD or not, but in case I do, I need advice.
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Obscene Eyedeas
Awesome Poster

But you see you have self diagnosed and this may be convincing you have it the more and more you think about it when you may not even have ocd

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~ Stephen F. Roberts
Obscene Eyedeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:54 PM   #6
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster

& even if you do, we are not professionals, we cannot treat what you have, that is for the professionals to do.

As I said, see your doctor about it, that is private & you don't have to go with your parents.

Honestly, are you going to let your parents belief get in the way of getting help you, from the looks of it, want?

I wouldn't.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Old February 1st, 2010, 11:28 PM   #7
galen

galen's Forum Picture

Name: Galen

I have a friend who has OCD too but hers was a minor case. She seem natural in whatever she did. There were no repetitive actions or silent counting she did that I could notice. I talked to her once on this and she said people with OCD try to blend the behavioral compulsiveness with everyday actions such that they 'fulfill' their compulsiveness while not seeming out of place.

So my advice would be to seek a professional's advice if its serious. If its a mild case, you could probably live with it. Many people do as far as I know. Also one thing I found out that helped my friend was that building self confidence greatly helps with the treatment of OCD.

Warmest Regards,
Galen

Galen is the sole breadwinner whom spends 48 hours on the Internet every day and he is currently working on various free online adventure games and commercial projects produced by a 3d animation studio based in Singapore and China.
galen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:29 AM   #8
2D
Banned

Just keep living, man.
2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:33 AM   #9
Snake217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth View Post
Just keep living, man.
I would say, "Just keep surviving", because my life now cant really be called life.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM   #10
2D
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake217 View Post
I would say, "Just keep surviving", because my life now cant really be called life.
Then make it worth living. No one said life was fair, easy, or fun. It can be anything you make it.
2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:13 PM   #11
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster

Keep fighting the shit, & look for the positives in life, & hold on to them.

Old February 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #12
Snake217

Wnt to the psychologist, and I do have OCD, but my parents wont give me any medication, quoting them: "thos kind of meds will just ruin you r head and make things worse, its better if you stay like this"

Any advice?
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #13
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster

Defy them & get meds.

If it is that bad, then you need meds.

Old February 12th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #14
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Assuming you did actually get diagnosed, your parents would have had to go against their beliefs to allow you to do so. It's evident you require medications, you know that, the supposed psychiatrist knows that and so the question is not whether you need medications as that's been answered. The question is are you willing to abide by your parents' beliefs or are you willing to breach them in order to reduce the symptoms and get treated? You have to decide this first because advice on treatment is going to be useless if you are unwilling to seek it.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote