Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #1
punkjake
Banned

Name: Jacob
Default Can OCD go away?

I'm always worring a lot and i think its OCD ,but thats not the point can it go away?
punkjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Oblivion
Retired Mod

Default Re: Can OCD go away?

With excellent self control, or medicines and counseling, it often can go away or be treated. Sorry, cured was the wrong word.

Last edited by Oblivion; June 6th, 2009 at 12:52 AM.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #3
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

Well, call me picky here, but are you sure you have TRUE OCD? As in diagnosed by a doctor? Being 'fussy' or 'perfectionistic' isn't actually a mental disorder. There's a diff btw'n something that's caused by personality, and something that's caused by brain chemistry. One you have control over, the other is beyond that.

So, if it's TRUE OCD, then there's medications and therapies that control it and help the person manage it. There's no 'cure' as in fix, there's effective, ongoing treatment which minimizes the impact of the symptoms.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #4
punkjake
Banned

Name: Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSAM View Post
Well, call me picky here, but are you sure you have TRUE OCD? As in diagnosed by a doctor? Being 'fussy' or 'perfectionistic' isn't actually a mental disorder. There's a diff btw'n something that's caused by personality, and something that's caused by brain chemistry. One you have control over, the other is beyond that.

So, if it's TRUE OCD, then there's medications and therapies that control it and help the person manage it. There's no 'cure' as in fix, there's effective, ongoing treatment which minimizes the impact of the symptoms.
i'm not a perfectionist im actully prety laid back until i get worried and start obsessing
punkjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #5
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

Jake, I think you might be misusing some clinical terms here. Worrying doesn't mean you have OCD, and 'obsessing' is a loose term, you mean you get preoccupied? That's different than true obsessional thought. For one thing, obsessions are irrational, they're usually not based on some event or some reasonable conclusion. And, they're really debilitating. Not just uncomfortable, but they really shut you down, it's like you cannot do anything but think about the obsessional ideas, they block every other thought out.

People know when they've got this b/c it just shuts them down. You don't sound like that (fortunately). You mgiht have a problem controlling yuor anxiety, but that's not OCD. if you cannot work on other ways to address your anxiety, then tell your folks and let them work with you to find other solutions.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #6
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

If you're not diagnosed then you officially don't have OCD, although you still could meet the diagnostic criteria. "Worrying a lot" could hint at other disorders, not only OCD. Cant get rid of what you don't have (assuming you don't have it).

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #7
goin to work
Member+

it will never go away however meds and tricks to train your brain help i have ocd and ive benn medicated for all most a year now and its worked amazeingly

you should have killed me when you had the chance
goin to work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #8
PrincessSarey
Banned

OCD can be controlled.
PrincessSarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Triceratops
VT Lover

Please, keep this on topic.

Thanks.

"I can't judge any of you. I have no malice against you and no ribbons for you. But I think that it is high time that you all start looking at yourselves, and judging the lie that you live in." ~ Charles Manson
Triceratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #10
SegundoTJ

Im not sure if any of you know but A&E is casting for their second season of "Obsessed" which gives 12-16 weeks of free professional therapy to those with OCD and anxiety disorders. It shows the truth about OCD and really helps people change their lives. You can email [email protected] for more info.
SegundoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #11
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggytoast View Post
OCD can go away very easily, all you have to do is keep on washing your hands, OCD has been proven to be a skin condition.

long story short: wash your hands more
I cant tell if you're being serious or not...

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #12
PrincessSarey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
Serious or not, they don't deserve our response/reaction.
Just ignore them.
PrincessSarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #13
soggytoast
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
oh my.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarey View Post
Serious or not, they don't deserve our response/reaction.
Just ignore them.
kinda fucked that one up?
soggytoast is offline   Reply With Quote