Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 10th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #1
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Höek
Arrow Ren's Comprehensive List of Sexual Myths

Alright, folks, though I know it's unintentional, there seems to be a lot of sexual misinformation going around. I figured there ought to be some sort of go-to that is fact-checked and referenced if you're unsure of something, or you want to know if a rumor is actually a reality.

Welcome to my List of Sexual Myths.

I'll be doing these by alphabetical order, including references at the end. If anyone has anything (please include references) to add, or a correction (again, please use references) to make, feel free to comment! Or you can just say what you found interesting, etc. Just feel free to do whatever, so long as it stays relatively on topic and doesn't violate forum rules.

This is a VERY long list, remember that ctrl+f (or command+f, if you're on a Mac like me) is your friend.

If you want to find the end of this post, copy "TITEOTL9333102014" (Without the quotation marks) and paste it into the "find" bar.

Most terms are under scientific terms over slang- the exceptions mainly being oral sex and so on.

I hope you enjoy, and maybe even learn something! Thanks for reading!

Note: Some "facts" are really opinions that are generally held to be true.

My references are incomplete as of right now, so there may be some inaccurate information below. However, I tend to do my research, and everything below is correct to the best of my knowledge. I will try to update with more references and corrections as I can.

This is a rough draft because it took so dang long to write- I'm sorry if there are typos.

Everything below is written by me.

Thank you.

The List

-A-

Abstinence

1. Myth: Abstinence means you're waiting to have sex until you're married.

Fact: You can remain abstinent (another term is "celibate") for as short or long a period of time as you want to.

2. Myth: You can't be abstinent after you lose your virginity, or you start a sexual relationship.

Fact: You can choose to be abstinent at any time, for any period of time, and for any reason. It is your body.

Age of Consent

1. Myth: The age of consent is 18.

Fact: The age of consent varies from state to state and from country to country. You need to check the local laws of your area to find the age of consent for where you live.

2. Myth: Two people who are under the age of consent can legally have sex.

Fact: If you are under the age of consent, and there are no exception laws that you and who you are having sex with fall into, you are breaking the law, and one or both of you could end up with misdemeanor charges.

3. Myth: If you're under the age of consent, you can't have sex with someone over the age of consent.

Fact: Well, generally this is the case, however, in some places there are exception laws. These tend to be for those close in age (usually within ten years of each other, and when one is over a certain age, but not over the actual age of consent) or for minors emancipated through marriage.

4. Myth: Age of consent only has to do with vaginal intercourse.

Fact: Age of consent laws can deal with MOST forms of sexual contact- even things such as sexting, or telephone sex may be illegal if one or both of you is not over a certain age. Anything from showing what is publicly considered indecent exposure (showing the buttocks, groin area, or female areola and nipple); to touching the breasts (female), anus, or genitals of your partner; to touching your own breasts (female), anus, or genitals in view of your partner; to oral penetration(with your genitals), anal or vaginal penetration (with anything), even if slight. Some areas even have ages of consent that differ from that of the 'norm' for homosexual contact.

The age of consent has different meanings ENTIRELY from place to place, so it's best not just to know the age- but actually what falls under the age of consent for your area.

AIDS

1. Myth: HIV and AIDS are the same.

Fact: HIV is the virus that develops into AIDS. It can take years for one to turn into the other.

2. Myth: Only those who have had homosexual sex can give/get AIDS.

Fact: Even heterosexual people can get AIDS. It is EXTREMELY important to know your partner's sexual AND drug history, and to know if they have been tested or not before you have sex with them. This is important regardless of you or their sexual orientation, gender, or age.

Anal Sex

1. Myth: Anal sex is only for gay men.

Fact: Heterosexual couples as well as gay men can enjoy anal sex- even lesbians can with the help of a strapon. Having anal sex does not make you gay, or mean that you're questioning your orientation. (Though this one really should go without saying.)

2. Myth: Anal sex can only be done by a biological male.

Fact: Strapons can be used by biological females. They are typically used for both anal or vaginal intercourse.

3. Myth: Anuses can produce lubricant, you do not need lubrication to have anal.

Fact: The anus DOES NOT make its own lubrication. You ABSOLUTELY need lubrication. And lots of it. Anal penetration without the use of some kind of lubricant can cause damage to the anus, and can be EXTREMELY painful.

4. Myth: You cannot get STDs/STIs/HIV from anal sex.

Fact: If the skin of an infected person is broken while anal intercourse is performed, the STD/etc. is in their blood, and it can be passed to you. It is important to know your partner's history and to use protection as needed.

-B-

Birth Control

1. Myth: Birth control is immaculate. (Birth control prevents pregnancy 100% of the time)

Fact: Even when used properly, any method of birth control has a chance of failing. INCLUDING abstinence- unlike some politicians would love for you to believe, a woman's body does NOT have a way of shutting down illegitimate pregnancies. Anyone can be sexually assaulted or raped at any time, which can lead to passage of STDs to any person. (If I remember right, someone out there has even given their rapist HIV- the rapist tried to sue them for it!)

2. Myth: Birth control isn't very effective.

Fact: When handled properly, and when used WHEN INSTRUCTED properly, birth control such as condoms and pills can be up to 98% effective. The key here is to know how to use your tool right, and to use it every time. Or, if you're on the pill, to ABSOLUTELY avoid sex if you haven't been taking it like you should.

3. Myth: Condoms only go on the penis.

Fact: There are female condoms (also known as a "femidom") made as well that insert into the vagina- however they do tend to cost more.

4. Myth: Birth control is only used to prevent pregnancies.

Fact: MOST birth control can ONLY prevent pregnancies- however, condoms made of the right material can be effective against STDs.

Binding (Chest, binding of the [usually female] breasts)

1. Myth: Binding can only be done with binders.

Fact: Binding can be done with a couple of sports bras or shirts. Make sure that you are not using anything that is too tight- this can cause rib and lung damage. It could lead to serious injury, permanent damage, or even death.

Bra

1. Myth: There are no bra sizes for women with measurements under 30 inches. (76 cm)

Fact: Some specialty shops make bras with size 28 bands.

2. Myth: Bras prevent sagging.

Fact: Er, well, if you're particularly large- yes they can. To some extent. HOWEVER, bras ALSO weaken the ligaments that hold up your breasts- bras can actually CAUSE sagging.

3. Myth: Women don't actually need to wear bras.

Fact: Bras are made for support. Failure to use a bra if your breasts are especially big and/or heavy can lead to back pain and poor posture.

4. Myth: Women need to wear bras all the time.

Fact: Bras are meant to support our breasts, and this implies that gravity is involved. When sleeping, gravity isn't as much of an issue.

Breasts

1. Myth: There is some diet out there or pill I can take to make my breasts bigger.

Fact: Well, that's not actually entirely a lie- estrogen CAN be taken to increase breast size. However, it is usually only prescribed to transitioning transpeople, those with low levels of estrogen, those going through menopause, or with other hormonal problems. As for the diet, eating to increase body fat is the only 'diet' that can increase breast growth.

2. Myth: There is some miracle exercise I can do to enlarge my breasts.

Fact: Some exercises may build up chest muscle and enlarge your breasts to an extent, but none are likely to yield significant results. Breasts are made of mammary glands and fat- not muscle.

3. Myth: I'm ____, and my breasts are too small! They won't get any bigger!

Fact: Puberty ends in your early 20's. Until then, chances are your breasts are actually still developing to some extent. You also increase breast size when you gain weight. Pregnancy is also known to increase breast size.

-C-

Cancer

1. Myth: There are no cancers of the sex organs.

Fact: You can develop cancer of the cervix, ovaries, uterus, vagina, and breasts if biologically female, and cancer of the testicles, penis, prostate, and breasts if biologically male.

Chlamydia

1. Myth: You'll know it if you have chlamydia.

Fact: Chlamydia often comes with no symptoms.

2. Myth: Chlamydia cannot lead to PID. (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease [female])

Fact: Up to 40% of women who are infected can develop PID if it remains untreated.

3. Myth: Chlamydia cannot be cured.

Fact: It can be treated and cured with antibiotics.

Circumcision

1. Myth: Circumcision is never necessary, it should be done away with entirely.

Fact: Some have circumcision due to certain health problems. Some choose to be circumcised.

2. Myth: There are no medical advantages to circumcision.

Fact: Circumcision leads to decreased risk of STIs, UTIs, and penile cancer. Also, there are some problems that may make it hard or impossible for the foreskin to retract, which circumcision would solve.

3. Myth: Circumcision makes sex unenjoyable/more enjoyable.

Fact: (My boyfriend would seem to think it can still be enjoyable!) Circumcised males can have just as satisfying sex lives as uncircumcised males.

4. Myth: Only males get circumcised.

Fact: Females can get circumcised- however there is no medical cause for circumcision. Female circumcision IS genital mutilation in any case. Male circumcision is argued to be genital mutilation, however there are medical reasons for its validity, and it does not necessarily inhibit sexual pleasure. Female circumcision removes sexual pleasure and can make vaginal intercourse EXTREMELY painful. It is also usually done with unsanitary equipment (as it is not generally recognized in western lands) and as a result can infect or even kill the female involved.

Clitoris

1. Myth: The clitoris is shaped like a star/ the clitoris is inside the vagina/etc.

Fact: The clitoris is a small mound underneath the clitoral hood, towards the top of the female genitals.

2. Myth: The clitoris is unnecessary for orgasm/the clitoris isn't that sensitive.

Fact: The clitoris is MUCH more sensitive than the glans (head) of the penis. Some women can ONLY orgasm through clitoral stimulation.

Conception

1. Myth: Conception starts at ovulation.

Fact: Conception starts at fertilization- conception at ovulation is generally used to make abortion harder to receive.

2. Myth: When you have an abortion, you aren't aborting a living thing.

Fact: Cells are living. Fetuses are made up of cells. Scientists are not debating the point something becomes a living thing, they are debating when a fetus gains sentience.

Condom

See also: Birth control

1. Myth: Condoms can always prevent STDs.

Fact: Sheepskin condoms can prevent pregnancy, but not STDs. Make sure the type of condom you get is effective against STDs.

2. Myth: Condoms don't work.

Fact: Condoms can be up to 98% effective if used properly, and if used before penetration, every time.

3. Myth: There are only condoms that fit on the penis.

Fact: There are female condoms (also known as a "femidom") that are inserted into the vagina- however they cost a bit more than male condoms.

4. Myth: Everyone can use condoms.

Fact: Some are allergic to latex. So while they could use sheepskin condoms, they will have bad reactions to latex condoms.

Consent

See also: Age of consent

1. Myth: Anyone can give consent.

Fact: Well legally, no they can't. There is an age of consent in most areas, and the laws state which ages consent can be taken seriously from a legal standpoint.

2. Myth: If they say "yes", they're consenting.

Fact: Legally (and ethically, honestly) if you are under the influence, you cannot give consent. Also, coercion does not equal consent.

3. Myth: It's not rape unless they're fighting me.

Fact: Sexual intercourse with someone under the influence, with someone you've coerced into having sex (who initially said "no"), or even with someone who did not explicitly give you consent can be considered rape depending on the laws of your area.

4. Myth: Consent is optional.

Fact: Sex without consent is rape.

-E-

Ejaculation

1. Myth: Ejaculation of any kind can cause pregnancy.

Fact: If your ejaculate (not just pre-ejaculate/"pre-cum") is clear, you may be sterile, which means that you are infertile. However, without being tested, you cannot know for sure if you are infertile.

2. Myth: Pre-ejaculate ("pre-cum") cannot cause pregnancy.

Fact: Though it's very unlikely to cause pregnancy, pre-ejaculate still can contain sperm.

Erection

1. Myth: Only men can get erect.

Fact: Actually, the clitoris gets erect as well.

-G-

G-Spot

1. Myth: The g-spot is scientifically proven to exist.

Fact: Scientists are still debating whether or not the g-spot really exists.

Gay (sexual intercourse, male and female)

1. Myth: Two biological men in a sexual relationship must have penetrative (whether oral or anal) sex.

Fact: They may choose not to have either. It is their relationship, and ultimately their choice.

2. Myth: Lesbians must have oral sex.

Fact: Lesbians can enjoy a fulfilling sex life outside of oral sex.

Gynecologist

1. Myth: Sexually active girls don't need to go to the gynecologist if they're under 18.

Fact: It's recommended that girls of any age go to the gynecologist after they become sexually active.

2. Myth: You don't need to go to the gynecologist at all when you're a teenager if you're a virgin.

Fact: Pap smears and breast exams should start as early as age 18, even if you are a virgin. It never hurts to start testing even earlier than that.

3. Myth: Only a doctor/gynecologist can give me a breast exam.

Fact: There are methods you can use to give yourself a breast exam.

-H-

Herpes

1. Myth: You can only get herpes by having vaginal intercourse.

Fact: If someone has type 1 herpes, they can give it to you by kissing you. They can also give you type 2 through oral sex. If they have type 2, they can give it to you if you give them oral, or if they penetrate you vaginally or anally. (It can be passed if the skin is broken during anal intercourse.)

2. Myth: Herpes goes away.

Fact: Once you've got the herpes virus, you've got it for life.

Hymen

1. Myth: The hymen can be broken.

Fact: The hymen is like elastic, it cannot break.

2. Myth: Hymen denotes virginity.

Fact: Some girls are born without one. Some girls stretch the hymen out through exercise or tampon use.

-L-

Lubricant

1. Myth: Everyone can use lubricant.

Fact: Some lubricants contain additives that some may develop allergic reactions to, or they may irritate some.

2. Myth: Any type of lubricant can be used with a condom.

Fact: Only water-based lubricants should be used with condoms- the rest can actually ruin condoms.

3. Myth: Lubricant is never necessary. (As a teen.)

Fact: Not everyone makes enough lubricant. Lubricant should ALWAYS be used during anal intercourse. Lubricant can also be infused with things that enhance sensitivity or pleasure for the users as well.

-M-

Masturbation

1. Myth: Masturbation can cause health problems.

Fact: Health problems can only develop by improper masturbation, or improper hygiene. You won't go blind, etc. from masturbating- you can only develop sexually related problems.

2. Myth: Masturbation can't be addictive- that's only something religious people say to stop people from masturbating.

Fact: Addiction to masturbation is psychological, however it does exist. You can literally become psychologically addicted to anything if the circumstances are right.

3. Myth: Masturbation is unnatural.

Fact: Most teens feel the urge to masturbate. It's natural. However, it is also natural to not feel this desire.

4. Myth: You must masturbate, or there's something wrong with you.

Fact: Asexual teens may choose not to masturbate, and some just don't like masturbation.

5. Myth: You can't get any infections/etc. from masturbating.

Fact: Improper hygiene along with masturbation can lead to yeast infections and UTIs (Urinary Tract Infection), both male and female.

Menstruation

1. Myth: Men can get periods.

Fact: Only those who are biologically female menstruate.

2. Myth: Periods all start at a certain age.

Fact: Periods start with puberty, but they can start as late as age 15. If you're older than that and you haven't had your period, it's recommended to see a doctor.

3. Myth: All periods are the same.

Fact: Periods can vary in length, distance apart, and intensity from girl to girl. Symptoms also may vary.

4. Myth: I didn't get my period, so I'm pregnant, right?

Fact: Unless you take a pregnancy test and the results are positive (after waiting the necessary amount of time), you may have just missed your period. It's common for girls to occasionally miss periods until they're regular, and some even do this until they're out of puberty.

5. Myth: Tampons will absolutely give me TSS. (Toxic Shock Syndrome)

Fact: If you use the lowest absorbency you logically can, and change them out often, TSS is not likely to occur.

Miscarriage

1. Myth: My miscarriage is my fault.

Fact: Most miscarriages are not the individual's fault. Teenage pregnancies are at-risk, and most women will have at least one miscarriage in their lifetime.

2. Myth: Miscarriages only happen early on in pregnancy.

Fact: Miscarriages can happen later on in pregnancy when the child is more developed as well- these are called stillbirths.

Molestation

1. Myth: I was molested, and it's my fault.

Fact: Molestation is not the fault of the victim.

2. Myth: There is nowhere I can go to get help if I am molested.

Fact: Some therapists are trained specifically to help victims of sexual trauma. There are also support groups, both ones you can physically attend, and visit online.

-O-

Oral Sex

1. Myth: Gay couples must have oral sex.

Fact: Gay couples can choose to have a sexual relationship without having oral sex.

2. Myth: Oral sex can only be performed on men.

Fact: Oral sex can be performed on both men and women.

3. Myth: I can't get STDs from oral sex.

Fact: Some STDs, such as herpes, can be passed through oral sex.

Orgasm

1. Myth: Orgasm is the same through intercourse and masturbation.

Fact: Most find that orgasms achieved from masturbation feel different than those achieved from sex.

2. Myth: All females have orgasms.

Fact: Studies seem to suggest that some females cannot achieve orgasm.

3. Myth: Females can usually achieve orgasm from penetration alone.

Fact: Most females require clitoral stimulation to orgasm.

4. Myth: I can use the g-spot to achieve orgasm.

Fact: The g-spot is still being debated among scientists. Not everyone will be able to achieve orgasm through stimulation of the g-spot. However, this does not meant that stimulating that area will never result in orgasm.

Ovulation

1. Myth: I don't need to pay attention to my ovulation.

Fact: While it is true that you can get pregnant at any time if you're fertile and menstruating, ovulation is the time of the month you're most likely to conceive.

-P-

Parental Notification

1. Myth: If I get birth control, my parents don't have to know.

Fact: Some places are required to notify parents of purchase of contraception, and some may even require parental consent.

Penis

1. Myth: There's something out there that can increase my penis size.

Fact: Not really. There are methods that can be used to temporarily increase size slightly, but they might not work.

2. Myth: The average penis length is 6-7" (15-18 cm)

Fact: The average AMERICAN penis is 5.6" (14.25 cm) Average penis size varies from country to country.

Porn

1. Myth: Porn is like real sex.

Fact: Porn is staged, and very atypical sex. Most things you see in porn (including size, bodily function, and so on) just aren't realistic for the average person.

2. Myth: Porn is not addictive.

Fact: Porn can be psychologically addictive.

Pregnancy

1. Myth: You can only get pregnant when you're ovulating/you can't get pregnant on your period/etc.

Fact: You can get pregnant at any time if your partner is fertile, you are menstruating, no contraceptives are used/they are used improperly, and sperm is allowed to enter your vagina.

2. Myth: Teenage pregnancies aren't at-risk.

Fact: Teenage pregnancies are considered at-risk pregnancies due to the fact that you are still developing. Getting pregnant as a teenager (especially at an extremely young age, such as 12-14) puts both you and your child at risk of serious medical complications, and even death.

3. Myth: If I take care of my body while I'm pregnant, I'm set.

Fact: You will need to avoid harmful substances (including most medications), take prenatal vitamins, and see an obstetrician while pregnant to guarantee that you and your child are healthy.

4. Myth: Home pregnancy tests are widely inaccurate.

Fact: Home pregnancy tests- even generic ones are highly accurate when used properly, and used the proper amount of time (weeks) after intercourse.

-R-

Rape

1. Myth: I was raped, it's my fault.

Fact: Rape is never the victim's fault.

2. Myth: I can't get pregnant or get STDs from rape.

Fact: Rape, though nonconsensual, carries the same risk as consensual sex.

3. Myth: I said no at first, but my partner/etc. convinced me to say yes. I wasn't raped.

Fact: Coercion is rape, and can legally be considered rape.

4. Myth: I was drunk/etc. and I said yes. I wasn't raped.

Fact: You cannot consent to rape while under the influence of something. Most places legally consider this rape.

5. Myth: If I'm under the age of consent, and my partner is over the age of consent, it's illegal, but it's not rape.

Fact: If your relationship does not fall within exception laws, it is legally considered statutory rape.

6. Myth: I was raped. I shouldn't want to have sex, or feel sexual desire, I should be traumatized.

Fact: Rape can be traumatizing, and can very much make you afraid of sex, but feeling sexual desire after rape isn't something you should feel guilty of. You'll want to be careful, as sex can bring back flashbacks or memories, however, there is no reason you can't have a fulfilling sex life after rape if you want to.

7. Myth: I was raped, but I can't get help.

Fact: There are hotlines, support groups, and legal measures available for rape victims. There are also therapists who are specially trained to help sexual trauma victims.

8. Myth: Only women can be raped.

Fact: Men can be raped as well as women. In fact, men are less likely to report rape or sexual assault due to stigma.

-S-

Sex (General)

1. Myth: Everyone wants sex.

Fact: Some are asexual, meaning they don't experience sexual desire.

2. Myth: Sex during marriage is always safe.

Fact: Even if you are married, it is EXTREMELY important to know your partner's history, and to know whether or not they've been tested. Even if you are virgins, one of you could be infected with herpes.

Sexual Abuse

1. Myth: Sexual abuse can only come from parents.

Fact: You can be sexually abused by friends, trusted adults, and partners.

2. Myth: I'm being sexually abused. There's nothing I can do about it.

Fact: There are sexual abuse hotlines, support groups, and legal measures. There are also therapists specially trained in dealing with sexual trauma victims.

Sexuality

1. Myth: Everyone can define their sexuality with a label.

Fact: Some choose not to define their sexuality with labels.

2. Myth: Sexuality is both whom I am sexually and romantically attracted to.

Fact: Romantic attraction is separate from sexual attraction, though some may choose to define romantic attraction with their sexual attraction.

For instance, if you're attracted to the opposite sex, you're heteroromantic. If you're attracted to the opposite sex, you're homoromantic, and so on.

3. Myth: Asexuality doesn't exist.

Fact: Asexuals do not make up a large portion of the population, but they do exist.

4. Myth: Pansexuality means you don't label your sexuality.

Fact: Pansexuality means you are attracted to all genders.

5. Myth: Sexuality is interchangeable with gender identity.

Fact: Gender identity and sexuality are seperate.

Squirting

1. Myth: Scientists know exactly what squirting is.

Fact: Scientists are still trying to determine if squirting is urination (during arousal), or if it serves its own purpose. Not much is known about squirting.

2. Myth: The "squirt" comes from the vagina.

Fact: The "squirt" comes through the urethral tract- where urine is expelled from the body.

STD

1. Myth: You'll know if your partner has an STD.

Fact: STDs often have no external symptoms or signs.

2. Myth: You can only get STDs through vaginal intercourse.

Fact: You can get STDs through any type of sexual contact.

3. Myth: Once you've had an STD, you can't get it again.

Fact: You can get STDs multiple times.

4. Myth: I'm a virgin. I can't have an STD.

Fact: While it's true that MOST STDs require uh, well, sex, you can get herpes from kissing, or even be born with it.

-U-

UTI

1. Myth: Only women get UTIs. (Urinary Tract Infection)

Fact: While it's true that women are more susceptible to UTIs, due to the shorter urethral tract, men can get them as well.

2. Myth: You can't get a UTI through masturbating.

Fact: If you do not keep proper personal hygiene when masturbating, you can develop a UTI.

3. Myth: Sex doesn't make me vulnerable to UTIs.

Fact: If you're having sex, ESPECIALLY if you're female, you're more susceptible, especially if you're not keeping proper personal hygiene.

4. Myth: You can't get a UTI more than once.

Fact: You can certainly get UTIs multiple times. Trust me. I have.

5. Myth: Cranberry juice can cure a UTI.

Fact: Nope. You'll have to get antibiotics.

6. Myth: I'm only treated for a UTI if I have one.

Fact: Actually, if you suspect that you have a UTI and you go to your doctor/the ER, you might be treated with antibiotics before your UTI is confirmed.

7. Myth: UTIs aren't a big deal.

Fact: UTIs can lead to kidney failure, which means eventual death. Don't ignore them. On top of that, they are extremely painful. So you won't want to.

-V-

Vagina

1. Myth: Vaginas can be stretched out significantly. You get loose from sleeping around.

Fact: No. Childbirth can loosen things up a bit, but things will usually snap back to a relatively normal shape even after popping a child through there.

2. Myth: You can lose something in your vagina.

Fact: Vaginas are actually quite small. They're not some magical vacuum. If something gets lost up there, it will come out eventually- however, you will want to try to get it out as quick as you can to avoid TSS or infection.

3. Myth: A boy can tell if I'm not a virgin.

Fact: The hymen does not denote virginity. Only you can tell if you're a virgin, and only you can define what virginity means.

4. Myth: Girls urinate out of their vaginas.

Fact: No, girls actually urinate through the urethra, which is right next to the vagina.

Vaginal Sex

1. Myth: Women can only orgasm through vaginal sex.

Fact: Women can orgasm through oral, anal, or vaginal sex as well as masturbation by herself or her partner, sexual fantasy, or even breast stimulation.

2. Myth: I can only get pregnant through direct vaginal intercourse.

Fact: You can get pregnant if semen enters your vagina, regardless of what you were doing.

Virginity

1. Myth: Hymen denotes virginity.

Fact: You cannot tell if another person is a virgin unless they tell you.

2. Myth: I'm a rape victim. I'm no longer a virgin.

Fact: By the technical definition, no. However, the technical definition is so flawed that it's practically useless. You can define your virginity how you want to.

3. Myth: Only heterosexual couples lose their virginity.

Fact: You choose when you feel that you lose your virginity, whether or not you have vaginal sex. Virginity is a social construct.

4. Myth: I have to consider my virginity.

Fact: You can totally choose to not even worry about it. However, it does not mean you shouldn't tell your partners about your history or get tested.

-W-

Withdrawal Method

1. Myth: Withdrawal method is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy or STDs.

Fact: It's 0% effective at preventing STDs, and can still cause pregnancy.

2. Myth: Withdrawal method isn't effective in preventing pregnancy.

Fact: If used properly, it can still be effective in preventing pregnancy.

-Y-

Yeast Infection

1. Myth: Only women can get yeast infections.

Fact: Men can get yeast infections as well as women.

References (Incomplete)

1. Choosing Abstinence After You’ve Already Had Sex: http://sexetc.org/info-center/post/c...ready-had-sex/

2. Myths about HIV/AIDS: http://www.womenshealth.gov/hiv-aids...-hiv-aids.html

3. Chlamydia Myths: http://knowyo.org/the-myths/chlamydia-myths/

4. Pregnant from pre-cum?: http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/pregnant-pre-cum

5. How Big Is the Average Penis? Science Finds Out: http://www.livescience.com/38158-ave...enis-size.html

6. 5 Myths About STDs: http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_he...td_myths.html#

7. Personal experience with the whole UTI thing

8. Circumcision (male): http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proc...e/prc-20013585

9. Definition of ERECTION: http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/erection

Edit Log:
Edit 1: Addition of "Femidom" | Edit 2: Squirting, female urination. | Edit 3: Added references. Added myth to Circumcision. Reorganized Circumcision. Addition of edit log. Added 'Erection'. Added E category (cleaned up). Added myth to 'Erection'.

TITEOTL9333102014

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here

Last edited by Karkat; March 16th, 2014 at 11:33 PM. Reason: See Edit Log
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Dwemer

Dwemer's Forum Picture

Name: David
Default Re: Ren's Comprehensive List of Sexual Myths

Very nice post. Thank u for putting all your time and effort into it
Dwemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwemer View Post
Very nice post. Thank u for putting all your time and effort into it
No problem.

Thank YOU for reading!

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #4
ksdnfkfr
Banned

Very cool. Have gone from knowing almost nothing about that stuff a year ago, to knowing tons now from here on VT
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
Very cool. Have gone from knowing almost nothing about that stuff a year ago, to knowing tons now from here on VT
Thank you.

Yeah, VT seems to be a really good place to go for those sorts of questions. I already knew most of it before coming here, but it's interesting to find out others' opinions and experiences as well.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:02 PM   #6
ksdnfkfr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisenUpJanetWeiss View Post
Thank you.

Yeah, VT seems to be a really good place to go for those sorts of questions. I already knew most of it before coming here, but it's interesting to find out others' opinions and experiences as well.
Just funny to me when a kid my age or even older is new and asks something and I am like some professor, "well you see young man, what that is called is..."
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
Just funny to me when a kid my age or even older is new and asks something and I am like some professor, "well you see young man, what that is called is..."
XD I know how that feels.

I actually had to uh, inform my boyfriend about where to buy condoms. That was an interesting moment.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #8
backjruton
Awesome Poster

backjruton's Forum Picture

Name: JACK

I know this is a random thing to start off with (I'm reading through it all), but a female condom is also known as a "femidom", I don't know if you want to add this in to be a little more... explanatory? I don't even know but it's there anyway XD

EDIT: Just read through it :O How long did it take to make this?

Last edited by backjruton; March 10th, 2014 at 11:41 AM.
backjruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #9
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by backjruton View Post
I know this is a random thing to start off with (I'm reading through it all), but a female condom is also known as a "femidom", I don't know if you want to add this in to be a little more... explanatory? I don't even know but it's there anyway XD
I've personally never heard of the term, but I'll look it up, and might revise it.

Edit: Revised.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old March 10th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #10
Hanson
Junior Member+

Hanson's Forum Picture

Informative. I learn a lot after reading your post
Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #11
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson View Post
Informative. I learn a lot after reading your post
Thank you. That's why it's here!

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old March 10th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #12
Deiform
Nice Poster

Deiform's Forum Picture

holy pancakes! this is just what I needed!

15, Bi-Curious
Modded Minecraft, WoW and Euro Truck Simulator 2
90 Undead Survival Hunter
"Words hurt, I have scars to prove it"- Unknown
FOR THE HORDE!!!

Deiform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #13
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateGamer View Post
holy pancakes! this is just what I needed!
Glad it's helpful!

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old March 10th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #14
ninja789
Banned

Name: Katey

you have too much time on your hands
fantastic post though
ninja789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #15
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja789 View Post
you have too much time on your hands
fantastic post though
XD I'd say so.

Thank you.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #16
ScottishCanary

ScottishCanary's Forum Picture

Name: Ana

WOW!! Thanks for posting this. I knew quite a few of the facts but certainly learnt a lot
ScottishCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #17
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCanary View Post
WOW!! Thanks for posting this. I knew quite a few of the facts but certainly learnt a lot
No problem! Glad it's useful!

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #18
Harley Quinn
Puddin'

Harley Quinn's Forum Picture

Name: Siobhan

annnnnddd, this is now a sticky thread!

Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

[Emerald Dream] if I had a 30 minute orgasm, I would probably need to sleep for a week

~Stevennn

*Ali*
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #19
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Talking Re: Ren's Comprehensive List of Sexual Myths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Quinn View Post
annnnnddd, this is now a sticky thread!