Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 10th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #1
devotionnel
VT Lover

devotionnel's Forum Picture

Name: shay
Default What phone should I get?

Hey guys, so my contact runs out soon and I really have no clue what phone I want to upgrade to. I currently have a Samsung A5 2016, and to be fair the camera is a bit naff, and I'm not a massive fan of the emoji, but other than that it's perfect.

I want a good camera, but I'm not gonna be using it for special purposes, just nice holiday photos and the like. I haven't had an iPhone really, so I mean I want to try one out but I really want the headphone jack. So the 6S is my biggest bet in terms of an Apple product.

I'm not really bothered in terms of storage either, I don't use a lot of apps and I can't stand having lots of photos in my gallery. I've managed to stay under easily 20GB for the last ~2 years of having my phone. 32GB would be fine.

I actually don't have a lot of knowledge of what other phones are out there in terms of brands and models. I'd like a newer release phone if possible, for better pictures and things, but like I said earlier a few brands are killing off the headphone jack and that's really something I'd like to keep.

Something I've never really had either is TouchID/biometric locks on my phone, so it'd be pretty rad if I had that too to be honest.

So, yeah... what's your experience with phones and which phone would be best for me? Casual and social usage.

devotionnel ~ help and advice moderator
ask me last.fm

~Endeavour was here~
*Mars was here*
devotionnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Jamiec1130

Jamiec1130's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie
Default Re: What phone should I get?

I wouldn't get a 6S. I have a 6, and I'm getting that feeling that it won't have too much support for much longer (as in terms of OS updates, etc.). What's your budget (and country for money translation)?

Quote:
I'm sorry that I let you down.
Quote:
I wish that I could say I'm proud.
Jamiec1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #3
Uranus
Mah Home

Uranus's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas (Yung Merk)

Honestly the loss of a headphone jack isn’t that big of a deal.
I’ve got an iPhone 7+. No headphone jack. However it does come with a small two inch (Just a guess) adapter. So you can continue using your headphones. The only drawback, and that drawback NOT being using an adapter, is you can’t charge and use headphones. Honestly it’s something you’d easily get over after week or so. I have a pair of Beats X Bluetooth headphones, so I honestly don’t even notice it. And if I want to use EarPods, they’ll plug right into the charging port without the need of an adapter. However if you want to use headphones such as Beats, just use the adapter. Overall I would suggest that you go with an iPhone 7/8/X. I switched from android and I’ve been happy ever since. I would suggest an android but honestly, they’re pretty much all the same. Just a few differences but all having poor performance, regardless how much ram, and being vulnerable to viruses. As far as cameras, my iPhone 7+ camera is already badass. I got some great shots which I edited with Apples photo editor and they can compete with regular cameras by Nikon or whatever brands out there. Can only imagine how good the 8/8+ and X camera is.
If this thread is still active I’ll try to tell you how the X camera is since I’m getting one.

#ThugLife
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #4
MeganA
Banned

Name: Megan

get a verizon
MeganA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 04:05 AM   #5
teeeem

teeeem's Forum Picture

Name: Timothy

Sony Xperia! I'm currently using last year's Xperia XZ model and the pictures are spectacular.

19 || straight/curious
feel free to pm me always open to new things
teeeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #6
devotionnel
VT Lover

devotionnel's Forum Picture

Name: shay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiec1130 View Post
I wouldn't get a 6S. I have a 6, and I'm getting that feeling that it won't have too much support for much longer (as in terms of OS updates, etc.). What's your budget (and country for money translation)?
This actually helped me a lot tbh and I guess you're right since the 6S has been out for what, 2/3 years now?

Well, I work, so I wouldn't mind spending a bit, but probably no more than 45 (GBP) a month? I've had a look at giffgaff, and their prices are phenomenal compared to other places in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranus View Post
Honestly the loss of a headphone jack isnt that big of a deal.
[...]The only drawback, and that drawback NOT being using an adapter, is you cant charge and use headphones. Honestly its something youd easily get over after week or so. [...] Overall I would suggest that you go with an iPhone 7/8/X. I switched from android and Ive been happy ever since. I would suggest an android but honestly, theyre pretty much all the same.
If this thread is still active Ill try to tell you how the X camera is since Im getting one.
Hey, thanks for the really informative response! This may have swayed me a lot more on the 7/7+ side

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganA View Post
get a verizon
I don't think we have Verizon phones in the UK sorry! Thanks anyway though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeeem View Post
Sony Xperia! I'm currently using last year's Xperia XZ model and the pictures are spectacular.
I've never actually had a look at the Sony smartphones to be honest - would you say they're on par with Apple devices or anything else?? I'm curious to know some more

devotionnel ~ help and advice moderator
ask me last.fm

~Endeavour was here~
*Mars was here*
devotionnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 10:22 PM   #7
Jamiec1130

Jamiec1130's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotionnel View Post
This actually helped me a lot tbh and I guess you're right since the 6S has been out for what, 2/3 years now?

Well, I work, so I wouldn't mind spending a bit, but probably no more than 45 (GBP) a month? I've had a look at giffgaff, and their prices are phenomenal compared to other places in the UK.
If you have a bit you're willing to spend, the Google Pixel 2 (and 2 XL) are both really nice.

Quote:
I'm sorry that I let you down.
Quote:
I wish that I could say I'm proud.
Jamiec1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:12 PM   #8
teeeem

teeeem's Forum Picture

Name: Timothy

I feel Sony phones arent like the top top best phone around compared to Apple or Samsung but they're definitely phones that are worth checking out especially if you care about the design I always thought Sony had the best design (or im just a Sony fanboy ). You could also checkout the new Google Pixel I heard it's like Apple's biggest competitor rn

19 || straight/curious
feel free to pm me always open to new things
teeeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:22 AM   #9
Uniquemind
VT Lover

I recommend mobiletechreview if you want a good youtube reviewer on phones.

Her videos aren't too long and Lisa does a good ratio of performance versus cost comparisons.

Iphone 7/7+ is a good solid choice, 8/8+ is good as well but I'd stay away from the iphone X, too pricey for what you get.

You will probably need a case because iPhones don't drop well especially the 8/8+/X given the all glass back.

----

If you go with Android, most people are going for Samsung Devices, or the LG V30. Google's Pixel 2 was promising but they've got some serious hardware issues in the speakers and screens and their customer service has been reportedly unhelpful to early buyers of the Pixel 2.

However Pixel 2's camera software is even better in many ways over Apple's iphone 8+ and X camera.

Last edited by Uniquemind; November 16th, 2017 at 04:26 AM.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #10
Lillynet

Lillynet's Forum Picture

Well i am not fan of iphones but if yo uwant to buy one i would suggest 8+ or wit hte same moeny you can buy Samsung Glaxy s8+ and i think it has better video and screen than iphones ( as i know only the iphone X has the same screen as the S8+ of samsung )
Lillynet is offline   Reply With Quote