Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 9th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #1
datboijoey

Name: Joey
Default Parents threaten me with medication

First of all, I love my parents. That said they do this thing that pisses me off. When I get noisy or "rowdy" they get mad and tell me to calm down or they'll give me ritalin for my ADHD. I know I don't have ADHD because the doctor told me I don't. Can they even get ritalin if I don't have ADHD? They can't force me to take it can they?
datboijoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 06:23 PM   #2
Devinsoccer
Member++

Devinsoccer's Forum Picture

Name: Devin
Default Re: Parents threaten me with medication

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboijoey View Post
First of all, I love my parents. That said they do this thing that pisses me off. When I get noisy or "rowdy" they get mad and tell me to calm down or they'll give me ritalin for my ADHD. I know I don't have ADHD because the doctor told me I don't. Can they even get ritalin if I don't have ADHD? They can't force me to take it can they?
The can't. It would be endangerment of a minor, if they did force you to take it. They would also be probably thrown in prison for giving you drugs. Also, I would call the cops on them, because they honestly don't love you if they do that. They can get Ritalin from a drug dealer. Honestly I would tell a trusted adult about your situation at your school, like your guidance councilor.

I love bananas and minions.
Treat others the way you want to be treated-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinsoccer View Post
Live life the way you want to live it, not the way others want you to live it.
Why do people believe that killing people isn't okay, but killing innocent baby or fetus inside the womb is okay? and vice versa?
Devinsoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #3
datboijoey

Quote:
The can't. It would be endangerment of a minor, if they did force you to take it. They would also be probably thrown in prison for giving you drugs. Also, I would call the cops on them, because they honestly don't love you if they do that. They can get Ritalin from a drug dealer. Honestly I would tell a trusted adult about your situation at your school, like your guidance councilor.
All the times they said it they never did it but it makes me wonder if they can. I'm pretty sure they aren't buying drugs from dealers. Mostly it pisses me off when they say it.
Old January 9th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

It largely depends on many things really. Normally they, nobody can force medical treatments on anyone including medication on a minor child. I know about this in the USA. But I don't know where you live. I'm not asking either

Not saying devin is wrong, he's a smart guy. Smarter than me tbh.

But it depends on the laws of where you live mostly

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
All the times they said it they never did it but it makes me wonder if they can. I'm pretty sure they aren't buying drugs from dealers. Mostly it pisses me off when they say it.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #5
Anniebanannie
Member++

Anniebanannie's Forum Picture

Name: Annie

Are they kidding maybe? Not haha kidding, but a sort of an insulting threat that they're not really serious about, because they're annoyed?
Anniebanannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #6
datboijoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniebanannie View Post
Are they kidding maybe? Not haha kidding, but a sort of an insulting threat that they're not really serious about, because they're annoyed?
That's what my brother thinks. I hope that's all it is. I want them to stop saying it.
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #7
Anniebanannie
Member++

Quote:
That's what my brother thinks. I hope that's all it is. I want them to stop saying it.
Would you be able to tell them that it really bothers you when they say that? And ask them to stop?
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #8
datboijoey

Quote:
Would you be able to tell them that it really bothers you when they say that? And ask them to stop?
Every time I tell them they say grow up!
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #9
Anniebanannie
Member++

Quote:
Every time I tell them they say grow up!
Wow. That's hard. Does your brother have any ideas?
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #10
datboijoey

Quote:
Wow. That's hard. Does your brother have any ideas?
He said just don't say anything there in a phase.
Old January 28th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #11
bentheplayer
Member++

bentheplayer's Forum Picture

Name: Ben

Ritalin is a controlled drug which means that it is absolutely illegal. They will be breaking loads of law if they do it so it is most likely an empty threat unless they are that extreme?

We are all slaves in this new age.
bentheplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #12
Deleted User
Legendary Member

What I don't understand is how they're gaining access to a controlled substance if you're not diagnosed with ADHD. Obviously, if your doctor says you don't have it, you wouldn't be given a prescription for it. Does anyone else in your family have any reason to be taking Ritalin?

Also, I would speak to someone about this, like a teacher or a counsellor. Just because they don't do it right then and there doesn't mean it's not a real threat. Not to mention, it's just emotionally abusive to make you worry that they're going to force you to take medication you don't need, not to mention dangerous. Ritalin is not drug people should be taking without a proper prescription or management.

They absolutely cannot force you to take it and if they do, it is illegal for two reasons: a) you are being drugged without consent and b) it is a crime to share medications with someone they are not prescribed to, especially controlled substances.
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #13
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

@Magenta. I think that's one of the questions he has in his original post. Can they get it if there is no diagnose. AND can they force him to take it against his will
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #14
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
@Magenta. I think that's one of the questions he has in his original post. Can they get it if there is no diagnose. AND can they force him to take it against his will
Well, I answered both. No, it won't/can't be prescribed and no, it is illegal to force him to take medications against his will. However, I'm just curious as to whether or not they have a way of following through on these threats. Because if they claim that they do, that is a concern. Having access to those kinds of drugs without a valid prescription is considered drug possession. And either way, even if they're just threatening it, no one should have to deal with being treated that way.
Old January 29th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #15
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Well, I answered both. No, it won't/can't be prescribed and no, it is illegal to force him to take medications against his will. However, I'm just curious as to whether or not they have a way of following through on these threats. Because if they claim that they do, that is a concern. Having access to those kinds of drugs without a valid prescription is considered drug possession. And either way, even if they're just threatening it, no one should have to deal with being treated that way.
Yes
Wasn't challenging you. We're on the same page
Old January 30th, 2017, 06:45 PM   #16
datboijoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheplayer View Post
Ritalin is a controlled drug which means that it is absolutely illegal. They will be breaking loads of law if they do it so it is most likely an empty threat unless they are that extreme?
Quote:
What I don't understand is how they're gaining access to a controlled substance if you're not diagnosed with ADHD. Obviously, if your doctor says you don't have it, you wouldn't be given a prescription for it. Does anyone else in your family have any reason to be taking Ritalin?

Also, I would speak to someone about this, like a teacher or a counsellor. Just because they don't do it right then and there doesn't mean it's not a real threat. Not to mention, it's just emotionally abusive to make you worry that they're going to force you to take medication you don't need, not to mention dangerous. Ritalin is not drug people should be taking without a proper prescription or management.

They absolutely cannot force you to take it and if they do, it is illegal for two reasons: a) you are being drugged without consent and b) it is a crime to share medications with someone they are not prescribed to, especially controlled substances.
Quote:
They never have done it. I'm pretty sure they don't have any drugs. I think they say it just to make me calm down or whatever. That's what my brother thinks too.
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #17
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Quote:
They never have done it. I'm pretty sure they don't have any drugs. I think they say it just to make me calm down or whatever. That's what my brother thinks too.
Well, if it really bothers you or makes you fearful that they may actually do it, I'd still tell someone. I don't think it's fair that your parents are using threats to 'calm you down' rather than talking to you and trying to find more productive ways to communicate about what's going on. Someone might be able to act as an intermediary and try to find a solution that works for you and your parents.
Old January 31st, 2017, 11:12 AM   #18
datboijoey

Quote:
Well, if it really bothers you or makes you fearful that they may actually do it, I'd still tell someone. I don't think it's fair that your parents are using threats to 'calm you down' rather than talking to you and trying to find more productive ways to communicate about what's going on. Someone might be able to act as an intermediary and try to find a solution that works for you and your parents.
I thought about talking to my aunt about it.
Old January 31st, 2017, 03:13 PM   #19
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Quote:
I thought about talking to my aunt about it.
If you're comfortable talking to her about things like this, then maybe pick a time to go out for lunch or something and have a chat.