View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2018, 10:26 AM   #7
Freckles
Member+

Freckles's Forum Picture

Name: Nathan
Default Re: Leaving For College Excited and Afraid

Thank you Second Chance. That was all very good advise. Because of things I have already done and classes I've taken I can test out of some classes. One elective is to take a ham radio operators license course. I am already a general class licensed ham. I have also taken the storm spotters course. I took the test for Intro to Meteorology this morning and sure I passed it. I've also joined the ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) and RACES (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service).

I am going from living on a small ranch to a city which is and amazing difference. Mostly the traffic and noise. On the bright side to get to Walmart it's a 3 mile drive where at home it was 48 miles. Food here is a bit cheaper I'm guessing because of more competition. I'm going to be doing most of the cooking for the family which will make me feel more at home. That will also save me money not having to buy groceries except for snacks.

I got interested in meteorology when I was 8 years old and we had to stop while on a trip because of tornadoes in the area. I saw one of them in the distance and was just fascinated by it. Since then I've been self studying weather and watch chasers, weather documentaries and knew that's what I wanted to do. I want to become a weather researcher to help find ways to control the weather and make more advanced warnings. This will likely mean I'll need to get a master's degree.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote