Old April 16th, 2018, 04:41 AM   #59
Music Lover
Member++

Music Lover's Forum Picture

Name: Jere
Default Re: Ask a Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Actually, Matthew 25:18, is of itself a parable talking about growing the faith and uses the capitalistic profit metaphor, to illustrate a point because listeners needed to have a concept to understand and relate to.
Yes, it is a parable. And I still think that it portrays profit (assuming it is honestly earned) as good.

Quote:
Profit isn’t in of itself bad no, but there are other versus of scripture where the laws of the market are not followed.

I forget where exactly but there is a verse of scripture where a business is forced to take a monetary loss on product not fully paid for according to earthly law, and it is implied that a resentful heart about material things, serves mammon.
I remember a few verses that could be this, but none that fit like a glove into your description. If you find the specific verse you mean I'd be glad to talk more on this

Quote:
It creates a contradiction if you interpret Matthew they way you have.
Where is the contradiction? I do not find any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley2003 View Post
hi music lover, what you say is different than the church we go to. what you say is the god has lots and lots conditions that people need to meet, otherwise they are rejected by god.
This is only half of what I am saying. If Jesus didn't die for our sins being perfect would be the only way to get into Heaven. This would be impossible for anyone to do.

Because Jesus died on the cross, we have the option of accepting him as our saviour and go to Heaven through him.

Quote:
and depending who you talk to, and what church, those conditions are different. each seems to say they are more right then others.
That is why there is a bible verse 1st Thessalonians 5:21
"but test everything; hold fast what is good."

This applies to what a pastor preaches and what fellow Christians speak. The arguments that are good will hold up.

Quote:
the church i go suggests that god accepts everybody unconditionally. nobody goes to hell, if such a place even exists.
God accepts everyone, but not everyone will accept God.
The Bible is clear that not everyone is saved and some people go to Hell (or whatever you want to name it).

Examples:

Matthew 25:41-43
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’"

2nd Thessalonians 1:6-9
"since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away fromb the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might"

Matthew 3:11-12
"“I [John the baptist] baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.”"

John 3:18
"Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God."

Matthew 13:41-43
"The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers, and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear."

If a church wants to say that everyone is saved and nobody goes to Hell, they have to literally reject the recorded teachings of Jesus that can be found in the Bible.

1 Corinthians 10:31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." - Francisco D'Anconia from Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Ask Me Anything - I DARE You!

Last edited by Music Lover; April 16th, 2018 at 05:07 AM.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote