View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Triceratops
VT Lover

Default Re: Obsessed with appearance?

Apparently I have this "Body Dysmorphic Disorder" as my therapist diagnosed me with it a few years ago. I have become a lot better since, although I do still have my bad days - but lately I've been getting a whole lot better.

Body dysmorphic disorder sufferers imagine the "flaws" (which can be very minor or imaginary) on their appearance as 10 times worse than they actually are. They commonly spend around an hour on average looking at themselves in the mirror, compare themselves to others, examining certain parts of their face/body, constantly seeking reassurance from others, obsessing over things like plastic surgery, exercise, dieting etc.

Body dysmorphic disorder is commonly known for leading onto other things such as anorexia, bulimia, self-harm, depression and I hate to say this but some BDD sufferers have been known to commit suicide. Body dysmorphic disorder is chronic disorder.

However, there are ways to help treat this disorder such as a certain type of medication called "Serotonin reuptake inhibitors" or something like that...I'm not sure. But anyways these are antidepressants which will decrease the obsessive and compulsive behaviours body dysmorphic disorder sufferers get. Also, therapy helps a bunch as it helps you stop obsessing so much about the things body dysmorphic disorder sufferers worry/obsess about, using certain techniques. It also helps sufferers change their beliefs about their appearance.

So you are not alone, there are many people who suffer from it too.

"I can't judge any of you. I have no malice against you and no ribbons for you. But I think that it is high time that you all start looking at yourselves, and judging the lie that you live in." ~ Charles Manson

Last edited by Triceratops; June 27th, 2009 at 03:30 AM.
Triceratops is offline   Reply With Quote