View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM  
Ancient Gmod
Whisper's Forum Picture
Name: Kodie
Exclamation Rowling hints at the death of Harry

J K Rowling, the creator of Harry Potter, yesterday gave the clearest indication yet that she might kill off the hero of her best-selling books.
She said that two main characters would die in the final book but that she had reprieved a third. She has always said that the series would last for only seven novels but it has not been clear whether Harry would survive. Rowling wrote the much awaited final chapter in 1990 but, speaking on the Richard and Judy show on Channel 4, she said it had been rewritten.

"One character got a reprieve but I have to say two die that I did not intend to die." When asked if the dead characters were "much-loved ones", she replied: "A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil here. They don't target extras, do they? They go for the main characters. . . well, I do."
Rowling said she had never been tempted to kill off Harry before the end of the book but said she admired authors who bumped off their heroes.

"I completely understand the mentality of an author who thinks, 'Well I am going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author written sequels.' So after I am dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character. Agatha Christie did that with Poirot, didn't she?"

It was not clear whether, in talking about the doomed characters, she was referring to Harry, Hermione or Ron.

She said her eldest daughter, Jessica, 12, had been harassed at school by children eager for more information about the young magician.

Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote