View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM  
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperShadows
Yeah, I see what you mean. It's difficult to put a definition to religion since there are many types of religious beliefs. If I may add this though: Scientists doesn't usually believe, they prove.
True, scientists to attempt to prove but the reason I used the word "belief" specifically as opposed to "prove" is because in order to prove something, you must have some belief that it is true/false. The reasons for one's belief don't need to be purely faith-based, they can be based on other proofs.

Quote:
I chose Christianity as it the religion I understand the most having been Catholic for 12 of my 15 years alive. It is also rather easy to find contradictions in Christianity because of this. If I had chosen Islam for example it would have been wrong of me to do so as I do not know too much about it and would have looked stupid. It is hard to disprove the religions without a Deity because they are usually quite philosophical and you have to understand their beliefs to disprove them. Going to LaVeyan Satanism again I have to find fault in certain ideas of theirs though. It is a sin to be stupid and apparently you should all be very intelligent etc which is just not realistic. I would argue against religions such as this though as their philosophical beliefs tell people how to live their lives which I absolutely hate about religion the most. I will look more into these religions though, just so I can argue against them .
Fair enough reason for choosing Christianity or any "main religion" and I'm guilty of that too but if one is to use their argument to argue or disprove all religions, then Christianity alone cannot suffice. Although the philosophical, non-deity religions tell people how to live their life, it only applies if one believes in it to begin with. It sounds rather silly of me to say this but if someone is willing to accept the particular religion, then they accept the philosophies that come with it. It's nonsensical to say something such as "I'm a Christian but don't adhere to any of the Christian beliefs". It's practical to not believe in a select few of the beliefs but to not believe in any, that is nonsensical.

Quote:
Does that mean you like it? I'm glad if so . I do not know the scientific reasons why there is no God too much so I use the historical and astrological reasons (the ones in Zeitgeist. I suggest you watch it, it's very interesting.).
I sort of like it because it's an argument that seems very applicable to many religions, not only to a select few. However, it does in turn lead to another argument or rather a dilemma which one must first address, which is does one place more value on traditional beliefs or on newer, non-traditional beliefs? Although one can argue for either side, I'm more partial to placing more value on non-traditional, newer beliefs. One thing that is observed cross-culturally is modern cultures are more individualistic than collectivistic using Hofstede's spectrum (if they once were more collectivistic) and this has been documented to lead to some negative results. However, despite its problem, I do like it although it's not a terribly new argument many people haven't heard.

Quote:
Yes, it's a shame that a lot of people just accept religion and don't question it. We could possibly have far more independent thinkers in this world than we do know, which would be beneficial to society. I guess some people just get so comfortable with their beliefs that they are scared of questioning them in case they realise that they are possibly wrong. I dislike parents passing their religion on to their kids, which is lazy and quite controlling of them. When I have kids I plan to give them information them on many religions and let them decide for themselves as others, even religious parents, should. I guess the world doesn't work that way though . As for being part of a religion just to not be persecuted I think that this is one of the worst things about the world today. In Islam countries for example people are badly persecuted for not worshipping Allah and whatever and some people there aren't brave enough to admit that they think it's a load of bullshit. This even happens in the Western world where there are places where if you don't believe in the Christian God then you are persecuted as much as you are in Islamic countries. This needs to stop.
Don't be so fast to write all of them off because you need to look at the social and historical factors. When there are times when people are told to either follow the new religious view or be killed, people may choose to believe even if it goes against their traditional views. Years later, the views that were once imposed are still believed despite the threat having been gone. People don't form a new belief publically as it will boot them out of the "in-group", something people do not want. In certain places, it may even be dangerous to do so, hence, they stick with the beliefs that were imposed on them not necessarily because they care for them.

Quote:
I know you didn't say that, I'm just saying it in response to the people who do believe this (free speech ftw). I generally prefer philosophical religions, they generally use their brains more than religions with God(s). It is a shame when the religions you talk about here are called 'cults' by people, including the biased, prejudiced media who don't make the effort to learn about these religions and try and scare people off them by using the 'cult' label which is viewed negatively. Yet another example of our corrupt media. I see what you mean by more people believing means they might not be delusional (they are though, why are humans different from other animals and plants and have an afterlife to look forward to?). Me calling them delusional does not mean that I view them as mentally ill (religion is quite a hard-to-explain delusion). After all I have many religious friends that are equally if not more, only that I view their beliefs as massively optimistic to say the very least. By the way, I didn't say that you said that I think that religious people are not as intelligent as me, just so you know.
Sometimes they're called cults because they may meet the definition of a cult, which has the negative stigma. If you think about it, "cult" is a specific word for a type of group yet saying "group" doesn't have a negative stigma.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote