Old April 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM  
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Name: Fae, The Witch
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
Er, how is science a religion? If science is a religion, couldn't you also call history, maths, english (other academic topics or subjects) and so on religions?

I would have thought that a religion is a belief in (a) deity(s), which science clearly isn't.
Buddhism is a religion; Taoism is a religion, but neither have a deity. But the perfect nomenclature is Philosophy.

In Science, what we perceive is what we believe. Nature is the creator here, what is nature is beyond us. Same-wise, what is God is beyond us; except, science is more plausible than any other believe.

Take Alchemy for instance. It was thought that some metals can be turned into what? Exactly, this scientific belief is debunked later, since we can't get a metal(element) into another whole metal(element) with different no. of proton, neutron, atomic number, mass number, size, density and many other properties.
===

No, I am not diverting or deluding you. Science and its branches contains facts. And what are facts?

“What has religion to do with facts? Nothing”

“Facts are to the mind what food is to the body”

“The facts fairly and honestly presented; truth will take care of itself.”

“A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.”

==

But all in all - Science is not a religion.

Here is a quote from THE HUMANEST by Richard Dawkins in "Is science a religion?"

Quote:
Well, science is not religion and it doesn't just come down to faith. Although it has many of religion's virtues, it has none of its vices. Science is based upon verifiable evidence.
Again, as I told you, it is totally different from all other Religions, be it theistic and atheistic. Because all other Religions is based on faith which up-holds no evidence.

Even though, Science is still and of course followed by others who do adhere their organized religions, I have seen some and in particular and shockingly Muslims. I barely heard of a Christian scientist(if you know any, please name some)The last search on "Christian Science" I got a Banana?!

Anything else you see out of the spot and sanely illogical, then feel free to scrutinize and continue this discussion.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote