View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2006, 06:22 PM  
Melchi0r
Awesome Poster

Melchi0r's Forum Picture

Default Re: American Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by <NotTheUsualOne>
Well... school is pretty constraining...the seven hours a day spent in classes being told what to do...and most of the students have absolutely no interest in school because of it. I think that's why most student who dropout of school decide to dropout...because of lack of interest. (Although in some cases several reasons influence the decision.)

I think being the inflexibility of school makes it hard for students to be interested. Lucky for me, I live in a school district where you can complete high school in three different forms: day school, e-school, and school lessons through correspondence, all three of which I plan to use...

In my state, a student can leave school on their sixteenth birthday with a parent-supervised conference with the principal and a school waiver signed by the parents. Some states allow students to leave school at 14, some make students wait until age 18. Whatever the case may be, when a student is forced into going and has no choice, it is constraining. Students DO need education, but there are many ways educational experiences can happen.

I don't go to school. I'm an independent learner...meaning, I decide what I learn, when, and how I learn it...and this is perfectly legal. The school district officials don't want parents or students knowing this, though. According to the U.S. Constitution, a "man is not required to send his child to school of which he is opposed." But, the parent must provide an education for the child.

I will start taking online classes this summer, and I will go back to school in the fall of '07.

The American Educational system leaves a lot to be desired, but with limited funding of education, nothing can be done.

Ah man, I wanna be an independant learner as well. School isn't working for me. Homework doesn't work for me, even when I actually do it. If I could set up the way I'd be taught, learning would be great. But there's no one to tutor me.

Please Click Here... you know you want to.

Only hyms upon your lips...