View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:33 PM  
Daemoniis

Default Selective Old Testament Reading

Dfsg,

Quote:
Jesus came as a living sacrifice for us, which banished all the old Jewish laws. Yes, Jews still try to follow the rules, but Christians don't need to.

I hate it when people use Deuteronomy and such against me. Jesus suffered so I wouldn't need to worry about the sacrifices of Jewish law.
Wrong:

Quote:
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 5:17-19, NIV
As we can see, according to Jesus himself the Law must be still obeyed. Which makes perfect sense if we remember that Jesus was a Jewish eschatological prophet and that Christianity started off as a Jewish sect.

Why do fundies always insist on selective reading of the Scripture?