Thread: religion
View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:39 PM  
I am: I am
kolte's Forum Picture
Name: Matt
Default Re: religion

Originally Posted by sanj
Well I am a Hindu- but I have resisted masturbation for over a year, and still going, so it is about will-power, as well as pleasing God/the holy spirit. I found this a great effort, but I used a good link that helped me understand more about it!!
you are hindu you say? I am buddhist, and i find it strange that you would be against masturbation. Why againt it? Buddhism doesn't say ordinary people can't masturbate, although it is prohibited by the Buddha's rules for monks and nuns, who are supposed to live celibate and chaste lives. In general, Buddhist teachers recommend that we keep track of desire, how it comes and goes. Sometimes, they say, not acting on impulse--like the urge to masturbate--we can see how desire falls away if you don't give in to it immediately. According to Hinduism, sexual pleasure is part of kama, one of the four goals of life. On the matter of masturbation, Hindu scripture is silent, neither labeling bad nor encouraging the practice.

""The New Law of Righteousness," that there "shall be no buying or selling, no fairs nor markets, but the whole earth shall be a common treasury for every man," and "there shall be none Lord over others, but every one shall be a Lord of himself.""