View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:32 AM  
kolte
I am: I am

kolte's Forum Picture

Name: Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbeardthepirate
Your survey suffers from self-selection bias so its not valid satistically anyways. Pirate is perfectly good sexual orientations as far as sexual orientations go, which is to say not very far. Without a significant and randomized sample you can't really extrapolate to a larger population any ways. All you will really learn is about the individuals who choose to answer your survey. The evidence is anacdotal, and thus generally speaking irrlevent. If your goal is instead to get some idea bout some of the people whose posts you read oon an individual basis then you servey is fine for that. I wouldn't be compiling descriptive statistics or trying multivarient regressions based on answers to these questions.

RAND corporation, a non profit, is always doing work like this if you'd like to view their results of these sorts of survey's done on the grand scale. RAND research is generally reguarded as reliable among academics. But remember, descriptive statistics only show correlation, not causation. For causation you need to do a regression, and if your dependant variable is something like Liberal or Conservative then you have to do a binomial regresssion and the result is a number between zero and one and is much harder to show significant fit. I'd assume that you wouldn't be trying to show that liberal or conservative causes gender, or minority membership which is not supportable theoretically. Being liberal can't make you into a black woman or a white man, for example.
your blowing this way out of proportion....this survey is just a fun thing to do. Its not scientific research or anything. trippen out.

""The New Law of Righteousness," that there "shall be no buying or selling, no fairs nor markets, but the whole earth shall be a common treasury for every man," and "there shall be none Lord over others, but every one shall be a Lord of himself.""
kolte is offline   Reply With Quote