View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2004, 02:00 AM  
teenboy9

Some view that being gay is wrong, and I can only respect that view, although I dont think I will ever understand why some could view it to be wrong to love a person. But these are our views, and not the point. Originally marriage was used to transfer responsibility of the daughter, to create connections between families, and financial gains. In many cultures when the daughter was "given" to the other family, they had to some how pay them back for the loss of their child. When looked in prospective, marrying purly for love is a new thing. Gay marriage has little advantage and use in the old world values. But now as time change, and marriage has become a symbol of love, homosexuals wish to express this as well. When people talk about gay marriage, all they want is to be able to marry. Getting married in front of a judge or a preist, in both you get the same legal benifits, and in both the goverment acknowledges the union between the two people. For most gay rights activists, this is all they are asking for, not to change a religion, but just to get equal rights. But being gay may not be a sin at all, Leviticus 18:22 Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.
Leviticus 20:13 If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
These passages are found in what is commonly called the Holiness Code (Leviticus 17-26) and may refer to ritual impurity (uncleanness) rather than immorality. In other words, same-sex relations might not be "sin" but "impurity"--like eating bacon. If so, they are irrelevant to us, for the Gospel releases Christians from this part of the Jewish law.