View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM  
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
This narrow-minded game is going nowhere, so I'm dropping it.
Good idea.

Quote:
You sure can argue against it, however, it will be a faith vs. science argument.
In that, you are probraly correct. Of course, there is no question of the person't lack of perception or foolishness.

Quote:
This is all very true except you're forgetting one key word: interpretation. They do not have to take it literally nor do they have to take it metaphorically, they can do bits of both. So when the bible claims that someone should be killed for some sin, then it can be taken simply as they should be punished but not killed.
That is in fact a way of looking at it. That being the case, they are not psychopathic but they are discriminate however and thus stll (although not as much) evil.

Quote:
You have every right to believe or disbelieve in their beliefs, I have no problem with that. However, when you keep calling it nonsense and saying you don't want to listen to it, then to me, it seems you're intolerant of it.
But when I am speaking to them, I am not. Generally, I am not.

Quote:
Great way to be open-minded and tolerant... . You don't have to agree with their paradigm but saying it sucks, well that speaks for itself.
Please don't be sarcastic; I take offense at that.

Quote:
I gave the method and outlined it clear as day. I'm sure you do understand it and me giving you an example is accomplishing nothing for either of us.
Very well, don't bother. All you are doing by giving no argument is dissuading me from arguing like that in the first place which I thought that you wanted me to do.

Quote:
Nope, I gave more than one reason for your wasp and birth arguments, I abided by the religious paradigm, I used evidence that satisfies it, and also included my opinion in it also. You on the other hand, used nothing other than saying that it was my opinion, no evidence, no argument against it, nothing.
I still don't htink that you took full notice of it. You said that my argument was void. I practically said the same thing (and yes, what you said was simply opinion since I do not agree with it) only in a different way.

Quote:
Because I was not entirely sure what you were getting at, I wanted it to be less ambiguous. I see no problem with asking for that.
True, but you could have said a bit more than asking if it's a fact. You could have taken a bit more notice and argued for or against it or both since you seem to like doing that dor whatever reason you have. I'm not really that bothered about it now though, to be honest.

Quote:

I am not trying to convert you to any religion. I tried to show you that if you are to argue against religion, then it only fits to use a religious paradigm and not a science one. You eventually understood that, you gave some arguments against the religion (i.e. wasp and birth one), so I took the opposite stance because your argument was based on a false premise.
What you say about a 'false premise' is simply a belief. I am arguing against this so now, as far as you are concerned, you cannot just say it exists, full stop; you have to accept that.

Quote:
I'm not changing your style to suit mine, I'm trying to get you to see that if you are to argue against it using your ways, then you're distorting science and religion philosophies completely. Is it so offensive for me to outline this to you and then to suggest a better way that does not distort their philosophies?
You are still trying to change my actions in some sort of way and this seems like a big thing to demand. I see no problem with the way I have been debating if you want my true opinion.

Quote:
I have not once told you to believe in god, vishnu, or whatever else. You were being rather narrow-minded from my point-of-view so I find it rather silly that you wanted to argue against religion yet you're so intolerant of it from my perspective that you probably weren't grasping the belief entirely and you weren't very willing to hear the other side (i.e. saying the religious paradigm sucks). If you're going to argue against something, then at least show some acknowledgment of the other side. You do show some acknowledgment but then you flop back to being so ignorant and intolerant towards it.
About this narrow-mindedness thing, I would just drop the bloody thing if I were you since I think the same about you. However, I do not wish to keep going on about it though so I think that we should stop mentioning it. And yes, I do acknoweldge the other side but that does not mean that I should accept their views as the truth. If I do not want to believe in what they want me to, my choice - not yours or theirs.

Quote:
I don't have a large problem with you dispelling religion as long as you aren't distorting science (which is the paradigm you choose) and religion. When you distort it as you do, then you aren't dispelling religion, you're coming off as though you're dispelling your intelligence.
When it comes to actually distorting science, I make good care that I don't.

Quote:
So, if trying to correct you is so offensive to you, then I'm sorry for that trait you have. Don't take it so personally as though I'm trying to change your beliefs.
I'm basically saying that I am suprised by your sudden and uncalled for demands of me to change my ways when I don't even think that it is required. And please don't start insulting my traits. In fact, the insulting of the other (and yet you object to me insulting specific beliefs even though in reality, I have no problem with them - I'm referring to outside VT) has seemed to have started from your side.

Regardless, I do not wish to get into an argument about this. If you want a debate, then please keep it at that and I'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote