View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:10 PM  
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
Read your second sentecne. That is narrow-minded. I should not have to accept stuff that I do not believe, end of.
This narrow-minded game is going nowhere, so I'm dropping it.

Quote:
So if someone believes that sun leaves filled with chlorophyll are pink, you can't argue against that? Nonsense; it's quite clearly green.
You sure can argue against it, however, it will be a faith vs. science argument.

Quote:
Good, since that raises the question of whether or not Christians prcatice the content in the old testament. Christians are supposed to follow the morals from the bible and if they followed those ones, then they are bascially psychopathic terrorists. If they don't, they are not following all the ancient christian rules.
This is all very true except you're forgetting one key word: interpretation. They do not have to take it literally nor do they have to take it metaphorically, they can do bits of both. So when the bible claims that someone should be killed for some sin, then it can be taken simply as they should be punished but not killed.

Quote:
Don't tell me that I don't tolerate religion since I'm the only person who knows whether or not I do and I bloody well do! When I say that I do not listen to them, I mean that I don't want to have to believe the nonsense coming out of their mouth. What right do you or they have to demand that I accept their views and either believe them or say that I believe them? I should have the right to believe that what they say is incorrect and tell them so. So don't tell me that I am intolerant of religion, okay.
You have every right to believe or disbelieve in their beliefs, I have no problem with that. However, when you keep calling it nonsense and saying you don't want to listen to it, then to me, it seems you're intolerant of it.

Quote:
I have already made it clear why their paradigm sucks.
Great way to be open-minded and tolerant... . You don't have to agree with their paradigm but saying it sucks, well that speaks for itself.

Quote:
That is not a true example. All that is, is stating the way again. What I wanted you to do was to pretend that you were arguing for or against something and to construct one usng your lesser methods.
I gave the method and outlined it clear as day. I'm sure you do understand it and me giving you an example is accomplishing nothing for either of us.

Quote:
Nice hypocritism. Why am I saying this? Because you completely ignored my wasp and birth points in the same way.
Nope, I gave more than one reason for your wasp and birth arguments, I abided by the religious paradigm, I used evidence that satisfies it, and also included my opinion in it also. You on the other hand, used nothing other than saying that it was my opinion, no evidence, no argument against it, nothing.

Quote:
INFERNO, not being funny or anything but you are seeming to get rude. Why should I have to make that clear? Since you believe that people should always listen (and I don't disagree), you should have listened to it but no, you disregarded it so I should do the same, really.
Because I was not entirely sure what you were getting at, I wanted it to be less ambiguous. I see no problem with asking for that.

Quote:
You say that we should all listen to each other and accept our views. Then why do you insult me for trying to dispel religion in a debate? Why must you start pathetic arguments with me simply because I try to explain why not everything has to be connected with God and that there's other ways of viewing things? What do you want from me? While reading your posts, I almost get the sense that you are trying to convert me to Christianity in unusual wasy and yet you say that you're athiest so you can't be doing that. What are you trying to do then? Change my method of debate to suit your style? I do not want to. Besides, you haven't argued using your style yet. As for what I'm doing, all I'm doing is defending myself. What are you trying to do?
I've outlined the religious paradigm numerous times so if you don't understand it, then I can try to re-explain it. But you don't seem to misunderstand it from what I can tell so I have outlined it more than once.

I am not trying to convert you to any religion. I tried to show you that if you are to argue against religion, then it only fits to use a religious paradigm and not a science one. You eventually understood that, you gave some arguments against the religion (i.e. wasp and birth one), so I took the opposite stance because your argument was based on a false premise.

I'm not changing your style to suit mine, I'm trying to get you to see that if you are to argue against it using your ways, then you're distorting science and religion philosophies completely. Is it so offensive for me to outline this to you and then to suggest a better way that does not distort their philosophies?

I have not once told you to believe in god, vishnu, or whatever else. You were being rather narrow-minded from my point-of-view so I find it rather silly that you wanted to argue against religion yet you're so intolerant of it from my perspective that you probably weren't grasping the belief entirely and you weren't very willing to hear the other side (i.e. saying the religious paradigm sucks). If you're going to argue against something, then at least show some acknowledgment of the other side. You do show some acknowledgment but then you flop back to being so ignorant and intolerant towards it.

I don't have a large problem with you dispelling religion as long as you aren't distorting science (which is the paradigm you choose) and religion. When you distort it as you do, then you aren't dispelling religion, you're coming off as though you're dispelling your intelligence.

So, if trying to correct you is so offensive to you, then I'm sorry for that trait you have. Don't take it so personally as though I'm trying to change your beliefs.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote