View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM  
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
Oh, I misunderstood you then. In that case, the world would not be able to function.
With this, I agree.

Quote:
Then that's being very narrow-minded and somewhat childish but do you as you wish.
To say what you did is narrow-minded too and thus, hypocritical. I mean really, why should I listen to any random crap from someone if they simply grab it out of thin air without any real study or research? See the problem here?

Quote:
It does not mean it is really true, you're correct on that but to the person, it is true regardless of what it is in reality and regardless of what the rest of the population thinks. If you think you're invincible, then you simply think you are. You may act like you are as well but to the rest of the population, you aren't. If you jump of a cliff then, well, we both know what the outcome is going to be.
Precisely, that sucide-commiter will get what's coming to him, namely death. That proves that having blind faith does not make it true at all and so I therefore want more than just faith before I believe something.

Quote:
I do not think it is completely true. As far as I'm concerned, Jesus may have indeed been a real person at one point in time. I don't think he had magical powers and such but instead was a plain, ordinary human. I also know that the bible exists. Beyond those two things, I do not believe that the religion is true. I believe it can teach good morals but I do not practice the religion myself.
Jesus could well have been but yes, this magic stuff is nonsence, IMO. Some of them morals can be good but there are downright discrimintive and dangerous ones (mostly in the old testament) in them which I'm sure you're aware of.

Quote:
Then enlighten me as to what these scientific facts are. By scientific, I assume you mean they adhere to the philosophy of science, otherwise I have trouble understanding why they would be considered scientific.
Facts which have been acknowledged from research and experiments instead of just grabbing something out of the air are scientific enough to me.

Quote:
You must hate yourself then as above you stated how you won't bother with any religions.
I don't hate myself since I tolerate religions, but I won't practice them.

Quote:
So your words of wisdom are better because they took you longer to establish?
Not so much longer but I actually made effort to get it. I looked for the truth that can be backed up and make sense. Religious people on the other hand will choose their answers with little thought put in.

Quote:
Well, so much for understanding other people's views... .
INFERNO, I do not believe in their stuff so why sould I have to pay attention to it? You know full well that I should not have to believe it and thus it isn't really an issue on understanding. Do I hate people because of their religion? No. So I'm fine for that.

Quote:
You can argue religion in your own way but just bare in mind, if you argue it with someone who is able to tell the difference between the philosophy of religion and philosophy of science, you're setting yourself up for a nice fall flat on your face. But it's your choice if you still wish to do so.
INFERNO, you are too predictable. I knew that you were going to say that! Why? You tell me. Regardless, you are not showing me any example in the way in which to argue so it justs seems a bit much to demand that I argue in said way.

Quote:
The part I'm slightly confused on is you acknowledge that it cannot be done with religion yet you still want to use it anyways. As you are dedicated to science, logic and common sense, then common sense will tell you that you need to use a different "thing" to use for religion.
That's just an opinion.

Quote:
You get that feeling because I was not sure if you were about to distort science.
I was basically getting you to think about the flaws in God's 'handywork'.

Quote:
You know damn well that the bible was written by humans, not by god. It was written at a time where the social norms, morals, laws, etc... were different than they were today. You don't have to be a believer in the religion to figure that much out.
I never even insinuated that God did write the bible. I don't know why you are using this as 'evidence' since it does not seem connected to the topic of which we are discussing. There are still contradictions between what you claim and what some religious texts say.

Quote:
However, if that reason is not enough then perhaps looking at what the bible says will show you why your argument is wrong. In the bible, it claims that nothing is equal to god (the Holy Trinity is removed from this for obvious reasons). If you are to say that the wasp is to be perfect, then it is to be equal to god. You see why your argument is not working? You're trying to use the bible to support something when the bible clearly does not support it in any way. It supports your argument up to the point of god making the wasp and that's where it ends.
INFERNO, the wasp does not have to be equal to God in order to not have silly little glitches. Besides, why must God fear creatures being as powerful as him or more so? If he can do anything, surely he can protect himself from anything that can harm him? Coming to think of it, he needn't give the creatures the ablity to even get to him in the first place. It's just interesting to look at all these little things. Besides, does it not seem more logical to say that it is an evolutionary or biological glitch in the system? If people wish to disregard this valid point, so be it. I have no prublem with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote