View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:36 PM  
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
When I said 'science', I didn't mean it as in the theory of science makes the world work, I meant the scientific laws themselves. What makes a body work? Why are teh bodis able to move, eat, sleep and so on? It's the science (moreover, biology) that makes i all work. What makes a twig drop when you let go of it? Gravity which is a law based on physics. It's basically these things that all make the world work instead of simply being empty and inanimate.
Oh, I misunderstood you then. In that case, the world would not be able to function.

Quote:
If what you are saying is true, then as far as I'm concerned, stuff religion. No proof or logical explainations? Then I'll not listen.
Then that's being very narrow-minded and somewhat childish but do you as you wish.

Quote:
Making something true for yourself is only speculation. It doesn't mean that it's really true. Say that as far as I'm concerned, I'm invincible then I jump of a cliff, are you saying that I won't die becuase to myself, I cannot die?
It does not mean it is really true, you're correct on that but to the person, it is true regardless of what it is in reality and regardless of what the rest of the population thinks. If you think you're invincible, then you simply think you are. You may act like you are as well but to the rest of the population, you aren't. If you jump of a cliff then, well, we both know what the outcome is going to be.

Quote:
'The Bible' does exist, yes. Is the religion it teaches and enforces true? No. If you think it is, you are not athiest.
I do not think it is completely true. As far as I'm concerned, Jesus may have indeed been a real person at one point in time. I don't think he had magical powers and such but instead was a plain, ordinary human. I also know that the bible exists. Beyond those two things, I do not believe that the religion is true. I believe it can teach good morals but I do not practice the religion myself.

Quote:
I know that there are theories, however, there are some facts that we know shch are defintely true and they are scientific and these theories are made from careful research instad of reckless imaginings and wild speculation which has come from nowhere.
Then enlighten me as to what these scientific facts are. By scientific, I assume you mean they adhere to the philosophy of science, otherwise I have trouble understanding why they would be considered scientific.

Quote:
True, it proves that they are devout however that can easily lead to narrow-mindedness and I hate that. I do not mind religious people and I don't argue with them, except here for obvious reasons.
You must hate yourself then as above you stated how you won't bother with any religions.

Quote:
If somebody refuses to listen to my words of wisdom that I took more effort to get than they did for teirs for obvious reasons, so be it. Let them believe in whatever far-fetched and unproved stuff they wish.
So your words of wisdom are better because they took you longer to establish?

Quote:
Again, if someone refuses to look for the factual truth instead of just making something up, let them. Not here though since we are debating.
Well, so much for understanding other people's views... .

Quote:
Well, that's dissapointed me since I seriously believed that you would do it. If you really won't though, then nor will I. I will argue about religion in my own way.
You can argue religion in your own way but just bare in mind, if you argue it with someone who is able to tell the difference between the philosophy of religion and philosophy of science, you're setting yourself up for a nice fall flat on your face. But it's your choice if you still wish to do so.

Quote:
I want to be able to see things and conduct experiments that show they exist. You can;t d that with religion.
That is the problem though, you want to use scientific paradigms to something whose philosophy is the opposite of science. To put it in terms of science, it's like trying to test how strong a magnetic is using a piece of cabbage and nothing else. You may want to try to figure out how strong the magnet is but no matter what you do with the cabbage, it just is not going to work.

The part I'm slightly confused on is you acknowledge that it cannot be done with religion yet you still want to use it anyways. As you are dedicated to science, logic and common sense, then common sense will tell you that you need to use a different "thing" to use for religion.

Quote:
Of course. In fact, I get the feeling that you're dodging my point.
You get that feeling because I was not sure if you were about to distort science.

Quote:
I don't think it is void. Religious hymns and prayers (as well as other content) all teach that God made everything (another point, god made all the disgusting things too which (if religion is true) he should be blamed for) so God must have made that wasp as far as religion is concerned. Why would he create something (or another other thing or system including birth) which is imperfect? Is it because he didn't create it or because he's incompetent or what? Thus, I think that I have a point with my wasp thing. Besides, that's one of many little thing that questoin the ability, personality or very existance of God.
You know damn well that the bible was written by humans, not by god. It was written at a time where the social norms, morals, laws, etc... were different than they were today. You don't have to be a believer in the religion to figure that much out.

However, if that reason is not enough then perhaps looking at what the bible says will show you why your argument is wrong. In the bible, it claims that nothing is equal to god (the Holy Trinity is removed from this for obvious reasons). If you are to say that the wasp is to be perfect, then it is to be equal to god. You see why your argument is not working? You're trying to use the bible to support something when the bible clearly does not support it in any way. It supports your argument up to the point of god making the wasp and that's where it ends.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote