Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM  
Awesome Poster
INFERNO's Forum Picture
Default Re: Religion

Originally Posted by dyslexiaa View Post

Believing in God isn't some veil that entirely distorts everything someone believes. Just because a scientist believes in God doesn't mean they'll answer everything with 'God Did It.' Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Descartes, Newton, Mendel, and Einstein all had some belief in a higher power (while Einstein is debatable.)

Religion and belief in a higher power is built on faith, there is no proof. You have faith that there is no God and I have faith that there is, but neither of us no, we both just assume we're correct based on our experiences.

Science can answer how, but it can't answer why.

Adam and Eve was a fable written thousands of years ago by people who had no scientific knowledge at all. IMO, Christians who take the Bible as a word-for-word historical document are ridiculous. If you don't understand the context that the Bible was written in, you're using a 2000+ year old philosophy in a modern world and it just can't hold it's weight.

I posted on free will and omnipotence and morality a few pages back.
If you believe god created the world and such, that does somewhat distort your beliefs on how the universe and humans came to be. In terms of scientists believing in god, I never said that it will make them answer with "god did it". I said there's a greater chance that they will.

That is true, the beliefs are based on faith and experiences. I have my reasonings for believing that there is no god and you have yours, however, as you said, neither of us know who is correct.

The statement of science can answer how and not why is mostly true although I'm not sure why you posted it.

Agreed, christians who take the bible word-for-word are ridiculous. However, I feel that aside from it being ridiculous to believe, it should be abolished all together. It has done nothing except hold back science. Granted, our scientific knowledge and technologies are fairly new but if we were able to continue with scientific experiments at the time when the church was essentially the law, who knows how far we could be today. Perhaps we'd be at the same page as we are today but there's a greater chance that we would have discovered something else, something more and be more advanced. The only thing I can see that something such as christianity brings is happiness or hope or some other crap like that. You can get happiness from plenty of other places or things that don't require believing in something so full of nonsense. Or, if you do wish to believe in christianity for whatever reason, you ensure that you still can reason, be logical, etc... without having to give some stupid statement of "god did it". If you are able to do that and ensure that it doesn't somehow interfere in other ways, then believe if you must.
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote