View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:43 AM  
MisterAndrews
Nice Poster

Name: Adam
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadostreet View Post
i believe what i believe but people have to live and let live...
I agree. We shouldn't put down peoples' beliefs, it's wrong to say that what they believe it crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCanadianGuy View Post
So you believe, without knowing WHY you believe, but you are CERTAIN nontheless? Then you bring up Pascal's Wager, where its "better to believe" because if you're right you go to heaven, and if you're wrong you just cease to exist (i.e. nothing after death).

However, that is a flawed argument. If you say that, then you have to ask yourself THIS question, what if YOUR religion is wrong? There are thousands of religions, and if you die and meet Shiva or Allah, they won't be happy I assure you.

Your definition of faith at the end is false, that is just a way that faith is validated by religion; for SOME reason you are supposed to be "blessed" for believing in something that you have absolutely no proof whether it exists or not. In any OTHER situation in life, faith is stupid, and a bad method of making choices. So why does religion get the free ride, so to speak?

If I saw a man with nails in his hands at my door, I'd be calling the local asylum to pick him up. He'd have to do much more than "show up" to proof his divinity to me. Mind you, I was a Christian for 14 years, and have seen the flaws in my thinking back then, when I took things "on faith".

Well firstly, as a christian i believe that there is one God. This God has many names and appears in many forms. So actually, I believe that we are all going to the same place, with 'all' of our gods there.

Secondly, Faith means unquestioning belief. Because of this, it is a very personal thing and i think it is wrong to tell people that it is wrong. The paragraph about faith in my last post was not a definition. I have just told you the definition and what i said last post was actually an example of how people show 'unquestioning belief'. And how can you accuse me of saying things without proof? You have no proof that Allah will be angry with me, yet you just said above that he will be...

Lastly, it is fine to put across your point of view, but I think that you need to be a bit more careful what you say. People believe that 'the man with nails in his hands' is the son of God and you making a casual joke about it is quite offensive. Try to put your point across without laughing at what other people believe.

Adam

Send me a PM or add me on MSN... I've probably been through the same problems myself!!
MisterAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote