View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:29 PM  
newshound18
Junior Member+

I don't know! I'm rather sceptical to say the least. It does kind of anger me, which is why I voted 'no' in the above poll. I'm currently studying 3 A levels and now the government is telling us it's time for a change. I have to agree that it is immensly worrying about the number of students gaining an A-C grade. It was about 55% of males and 59% of females in 2001. The numbers gaining an A grade keeps on climbing which means that the most prestigious universities, such as Cambridge and Oxford find it difficult to differentiate the A grades. Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent! I think a vocational education is a good idea on the whole, but I don't see the need to change the entire A level system. It can not be denied that since the AS and A2 system more students are gaining higher grades because of the modular approach instead of one sitting of a three hour exam. I guess it depends how you look at it! Anyway to end then, VOCATIONALISM is a good idea, BUT you must still have TRADITIONAL subjects. They may be a tendency to gain skills for one particular job and then close the door to several other jobs.

In life you\'ll often find that no answer can be 100% and that sometimes nobody can ever give you an answer that you find acceptable.
newshound18 is offline   Reply With Quote