View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2018, 01:47 AM   #5
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Name: Cedrick
Default Re: Harsh Rules Agianst Discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalcourt View Post
I understand what you mean and I try to find an adequate answer to give here.

As already said by @ImagineRepublicCity it would be difficult to filter everything i.e. having a mod reading every post before it is published. It would greatly hinder all forms of discussion. Therefore you have the "Report Button" for every forumer to note staff if you find a post that is against the rules.

There are of course forum rules against discrimination of all forms if you read through the FAQs.

Nevertheless putting them into practice isn't always satisfying for everyone for sure. You have to accept individual opinions and freedom of speech from all kinds of different people with all kinds of different backgrounds. Sometimes people also state things not because they are evil but simply because they are miseducated about issues.

So even if I totally understand where you coming from as I said as a starter already,I feel harsher rules won't be really necessary or even possible.
And even if we had stricter rules, the enforcing of every rule will consist of an individual subjective component and therefore never be completely neutral and just.

As an active member you can work on making this forum a safe and welcoming place for everyone by reporting things that go wrong, informing staff about people you feel are trying to discriminate and last but not least by helping to educate those who try to spread hate speech about how they are wrong. Common sense and airtight arguments are the keys to this here and not stooping down to their level.
I don't believe that claiming that you are 'miseducated' is an acceptable reason for hate speech.

I would not expect mods to read every post before they are published. I realize that only so much can be done. But there are several members that I have reported and have seen their posts removed up to 5 or 10 times. I just don't understand why they are still able to be members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
The rules already adequately cover this. If people are being purposely mean, rude, or offensive, then their posts are removed. If they repeatedly do this, then they may face punishments up to and including permanent ban. Most of those who are posting these things you find offensive, they are mainly just expressing their personal opinions, they aren't posting those things just to get a rise out of people. And since VT is a public forum based around open conversation, you can't really make a rule dictating that people can't express certain opinions just because you find them offensive.

That's a debate in and of itself.
Maybe the issue isn't the rules but rather how they are being enforced and lack there of enforcement.

If you are debating something you should be able to back your opinion with a fact, example, or something. I'm not complaining because I disagree with certain opinions, but because the language, and offensive/incriminating statements are unacceptable. If it something that you would get suspended for if you said at school, you should face some form of discipline from the forums.

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote