Old September 30th, 2017, 06:17 PM   #15
Jaffe
Awesome Poster

Jaffe's Forum Picture

Name: Jaffe
Default Re: Asperger's syndrome in a nutshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAP View Post
No. Autism and Asperger's are the same thing. People with autism do get overloaded by the world. Those with so-called "high-functioning autism" (though functioning labels are often inaccurate) can communicate proficiently. Really, I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what autism is. And I don't think it's fair to insist that one must be an expert in the field to express an opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieldv77 View Post
Allow me to explain exactly why I disagree with your statement; Aspergers children are able to develop regularly up to the point to which socialization becomes a part of the learning process, from which aspergers syndrome becomes readily apparent due to lack of social skills, whereas for one with high functioning autism, the learning disability becomes apparent much earlier on. And, to add to a very controversial point, high functioning autism resembles a learning disability in general, whereas aspergers syndrome only truly affects the social aspects of life, the similarity between the two being that they are both overloaded by the world around them, albiet for different reasons.

And, as for the statement regarding one being, as you so oddly put it, "an expert in the field" in order to express an opinion, I did not state so. I said that one needs to have at least some experience in the topic, so that one does not come off as ignorant.

And, as for the last question you might have, the reply is incredibly late because I have been rather busy on my quest to move and find a college that has the right specifications for my degree.

Interesting thread. Let me add one important concept:
The only thing that we know for certain, is that we do not know anything.

Meaning, autism is still a medical and psychological mystery. Some doctors think the spectrum should be broadened to include such things as ADHD. Others think it should be divided, rather than trying to include everyone. All of us are different; it is impossible to categorise or generalise.

While the people I know with AS definitely have different characteristics than friends on other parts of the spectrum, I would not be able to really differentiate them... because everyone I know on the spectrum is unique, with different characteristics, and common characteristics are rare.

My own experience fits the 'mystery' concept. I have 18 years of experience with autism, although only 12 of that is post-diagnosis, and even the first two years of diagnosis were "possibly", because it is difficult to tell if a young child is autistic or simply has other issues that will disappear.

The labels in this thread irritate me a bit. I am Level 1 ASD. Which is probably what posters here are thinking of when they say "high-functioning", although the "high-functioning" label is only an opinion, and is applied to autistics of various capabilities, depending on the perception of the viewer/labeler. Prior to the standardisation of terminology, I was diagnosed as PDD-NOS/IMF.

While I am happy that people are open to this topic, and willing to discuss it... I think that we should all avoid absolutes. For absolutes do not exist on the spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieldv77 View Post
I apologize if I come off as blunt, but I am currently in an emotionally neutral state, meaning that my text will literally portray no emotion and will sound like a textbook.
I think I have never seen this emotional state explained so succinctly. Thank you for posting those words, "emotionally neutral state". I have often tried to explain this state to people, and they seldom understand it.

Last edited by Jaffe; September 30th, 2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Fix spelling that spellcheck missed. Heh.
Jaffe is online now   Reply With Quote