View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #22
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!
Default Re: are you born with ocd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antimonic View Post
Iamsam, you obviously follow the medical model of psychology, whereas dig it deeper follows a more psychological model, yes some cases have reported that ocd was caused by neurochemical imbalances etc, however as far as it goes you are the one who has not provided any empirical evidence, and to be perfectly honest to state that the sources dig it deeper has gotten her information from is for any reason "incorrect" or invalid, is very ignorant. compare your position with theirs, you are a 15 year old, the researchers are not lol they have a considerably larger basis of knowledge in their subject area then you do and most importantly, they follow a different model then you do (some do).

yes sampling size/ methods are important, though you have no reason to believe that they were not appropriate from what dig it deeper has given you. and why would the possible limitations of these studies be present in the ones that support psychological theories and not medical? they wouldn’t, both fields are scientific and follow scientific approaches to investigating this anxiety disorder. like many things there are a number of causes, biochemical factors are not enough as they are too reductionist and tend to ignore other factors and simple psychological factors. psychological models also are limited as they are more holistic approaches and may be looking too broadly when the cause is smaller, and also ignore biological factors.

you also need to take it easy, dig it deeper doesnt seem to be starting an argument you are the one who seems to be very challenging and trying to force your opinions (which YOU seem to have confused with facts from what i have read) down her throat. its a small debate, neither of you is wrong, not unless one of you states that their side is the correct and the other isnt.

Was just wondering, how would a follower of the medical model explain cases where the patient has the symptoms of ocd but has no imbalances or abnormal neurotransmitter activity/levels? just wondering

Nice try, registering with another account here. Living up to your nick of digging yourself in deeper. Methinks your issue is that you cannot tolerate a difference of opinion. Smells like narcissism to me.

I don't think that you're following a 'Psychological model', I think the model you accept fits more neatly into your own need to see yourself a certain way. My way of understanding this is based on a more thorough understanding of OCD, including having spoken to those who treat it and teach about it at the Uni level, as well as my own studies.

The studies you quote might have found the results you favor, which is perhaps why you're quoting them in the first place. However, I cannot comment on the methdology used, which is really crucial. How they identified the patient samples, what the criteria for OCD was, is important, what instruments were used to determine this? What instruments/criteria were used to determine the treatment outcomes? Was the severity of OCD taken into consideration or even identified in determining which treatment group the sample should be in? How about the statistical analyses? Which were used, and why? Looking only at the conclusion and not the methodology missed the important opportunity to actually judge the worth of the entire study, regardless of one's personal predisposition .

lastly, it is worthwhile to discuss the results of any clinical study with the practitioners in the field who work with the issue at hand on a daily basis. Most good studies are not only 'reliable', producing the same results in repeated study, but also practical, that the result should be the same in clinical trial. As I said before, you've got the first half here, looking up the studies that support your opinions, now go find some practitioners in the real world and see if their clinical experience replicates these studies. I'm not dismissing the veracity of your claims about CBT, I am saying that it's more nuanced, that outcome is more influenced by severity of OCD.

Again, those professionals who work with OCD, esp. adolescent onset, will tell you that in the moderate to severe category, properly diagnosed!, medication provides the best outcome. Therapy is a good adjunct, but the current thinking is that moderate to severe OCD is a biochemical issue.

It's unfortunate your own preconceived ideas (or personality issues) prevent you from accepting this, which is why I suggest that you find some qualified professionals to ask.

Sometimes, there's no substitute for hands on clinical experience.