Old July 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #19
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!
Default Re: are you born with ocd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig it deeper View Post
References (in order):
Simpson, H., & Liebowitz, M. (2005). Combining Pharmacotherapy and Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy in the Treatment of OCD. Concepts and controversies in obsessive-compulsive disorder (pp. 359-376). New York, NY, US: Springer Science + Business Media. Retrieved July 30, 2008, from PsycINFO database.

March, J. (1995, January). Cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy for children and adolescents with OCD: A review and recommendations for treatment. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 34(1), 7-18. Retrieved July 30, 2008, from PsycINFO database.

Watson, H., & Rees, C. (2008, May). Meta-analysis of randomized, controlled treatment trials for pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry, 49(5), 489-498. Retrieved July 30, 2008, doi:10.1111/j.1469-7610.2007.01875.x

Please tell me what makes your opinion so superior on this topic?
Do you have evidence to support your view?

I would be interested in reading them because it actually seems to me that you confuse your personal opinion with fact.

EDIT
Oh, forgot to add this. All of these findings have been significant. The chances of them being down to chance are lower than 2%.
I appreciate this information, but since I cannot access the original versions I still cannot assess the credibility of these results. How were the samples chosen?, how was the diagnosis of OCD derived?, what instruments were used to determine 'improvement'? Citing journals as references or the statistical significance doesn't necessarily answer these important questions, you should know that. Something having a 2% statistical error variance is only valid if the subjects were properly selected in the first place!

If you were to talk with professionals who are trained to diagnose and treat OCD, what you'd hear is that OCD, like many disorders, occurs on a continuum, that the symptoms go from 'mild' to 'severe'. And as the symptoms become more significant, as they interfere more with ADL's, that medication becomes the more valuable tool in treatment. You cannot 'talk' someone out of something like OCD that is basically biologically determined, it would be like talking someone out of having a seizure. I suspect those that respond to therapy as well as meds probably had a more mild form, or OCD-like features.

CBT (or any other form of properly administered psychotherapy), is a valuable tool in treatment, regardless of how serious the disorder is. However, only those who have never actually worked with severe OCD (properly diagnosed, btw) would say that CBT alone is as effective as medication. Go find a professional who has some experience with this and ask them.

Perhaps what I'm also responding to is more personal, you're entirely too confrontational and nasty for my tastes, I don't do well with arrogance in the absence of excellence, in the very short time you've been here what i've read from you confirms the former without having the benefit of the latter. Perhaps as you're here more that might change. But until then, you might consider toning your attitude down and tucking your ego in a bit, at least around me. We're here to help others, not confront eachother. You are entitled to share an opinion with the OP, it is their choice who to believe.

Again, should you need to discuss this further, do it by PM, not here. But hopefully not.

Last edited by IAMSAM; July 30th, 2008 at 12:53 PM.