View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2015, 05:22 AM  
Judean Zealot
Awesome Poster
Judean Zealot's Forum Picture
Name: Cato
Default Re: Religion

Originally Posted by Arkansasguy View Post
I'd encourage you to look into Aquinas's arguments for God's existence, particularly the argument from motion. Or at the many miracles of Christianity. If it's just a matter of being convinced intellectually, there's a lot out there to go on.
I definitely agree with the suggestion to look at the scholastics- particularly Aquinas and Scotus (even though I am more of a Platonic Stoic myself). I would also recommend this blog for somebody interested in general scholasticism: Edward Feser. Feser's books, in particular Aquinas and Neo-Scholastic Essays are both wonderfully written and full of content. And while I'm rambling, there is a pretty much Catholic forum which I frequent with (practically) no idiots, just content.

Ultimately, the basic theistic model for Christianity, Judaism, and Islam is all the same, setting aside trinitarian doctrine (which even Aquinas fumbles with).

"Absolute tolerance is altogether impossible; the allegedly absolute tolerance turns into ferocious hatred of those who have stated clearly and most forcefully that there are unchangeable standards founded in the nature of man and the nature of things."
-Leo Strauss, Liberalism: Ancient and Modern

Last edited by Judean Zealot; November 6th, 2015 at 05:29 AM.
Judean Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote