View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:07 PM  
ClaraWho
Great Poster

Name: Clara
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Dash View Post
Buddhism is actually a religion. While some forms of it are not supernatural, some sects of Buddhism regard the Buddha as a god. There are different categories of Buddhism which believe different things. Some are more philosophy-oriented and some are more supernaturally oriented.

As for atheism, I can agree that atheism is more non-religion than religion; however, I believe the OP used the term "religion" as to mean just spiritual philosophy in general or something to that degree.
Entirely disagree on both points. Buddhism was the philosophical teachings of a man who refuted any claim to be a prophet or a god. Ergo followers cannot claim otherwise without it no longer being Buddhism. Religion requires a god(s) or Devine entity. Spirituality is different to religion, as is 'supernatural' by itself. Whilst there may exist people who claim to be 'religious' Buddhists, it doesn't fit the dictionary definition.

Atheism is the absence of religion, not the presence of a specific spiritual philosophy. It irritates me that people refer to aethism as a belief in not believing, which it simply isn't.

We don't have a special term for those who say the tooth-fairy or unicorns don't exist. You aren't afairiest if you disbelieve in fairies, and that doesn't denote you to a collective. It's a eclectic undefined out group. We are all atheists, just some of us take it one God further.

~ Clara

Prod the lioness, Expect the claws.

I am romantically entwined with my brother, and all that love entails.

Your inability to understand my point in no way invalidates it.

DO NOT PM ME TROLLS - I WILL NOT TELL YOU EROTIC
INCEST STORIES. Can spot trolls 100 miles off. Thank you.
ClaraWho is offline   Reply With Quote