Old October 10th, 2014, 09:31 PM  
Bleid
Member++

Bleid's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipper View Post
"Religion" is terrible.
The use of quotations around the word, "Religion" above is improper. The way it is, it's a use-mention error. After I write the rest of this post, I'll quickly Google a good link for you.

Quote:
My mom's uncle who died over a year ago from cancer was a "hardcore" Christian,
Similar problem around the word, "hardcore."

Quote:
however this does not change the fact that religion has caused nothing but problems in society for a veryyy long time, therefore i do not believe in any religion.
There are only two possibilities here. Either you're mistaking correlation with causation when you stated this, or you're not.

If you are, and you're trying to say something of the form:
(Religious people do X that I believe is bad, therefore religion caused X).

Then I can use your very own reasoning that correlation = causation and say:

Religious people have also been kind enough to be charitable to the sick and injured and financially handicapped.

Therefore, by your own reasoning (correlation = causation), religion has not caused nothing but problems in society. It has aided it.

If you are not, then you also have no ground to stand on, because someone being religious and doing something wrong does not mean that religion itself has caused nothing but problems in society.

So overall, given the only two possibilities, the above quote of yours is not well-reasoned.

Quote:
Another reason why i don't believe in any religion is because a "God", etc, is simply non-existant.
Another use-mention error. Also an unfounded claim.

Here's the link I promised. I checked to make sure it's factually accurate, since it is after all, Wikipedia.
Bleid is offline   Reply With Quote