Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2014, 05:53 AM  
Leftist Shill
Vlerchan's Forum Picture
Default Re: Religion

Originally Posted by Cheesee
Ofcourse there is, it just depends on your definition of rational[1]. There can be any logical reasoning behind harming oneself for any reason[2].
[1]: Logical.

[2]: I can't think of any logical basis, i.e., a basis that doesn't appeal to emotion, to deliberately disadvantage oneself.

I'm saying when people seem to do purely altruistic things, they are always doing it to please themselves or a certain thought mentally.
I've had second thoughts about this.

I believe that individuals engage in altruistic behaviour mainly in the name of a 'greater good', etc. and not so much in the name of ego: whilst the need to feel good about oneself might exist, I feel that its subordinate to, and thus not as influential as, ones want to serve the 'greater good': since the latter illogical want factors in more than the former logical want, I feel that people are not acting as much (i.e., fully) in their own self-interest as you might be making out - and thus are acting illogically.

Philophicaly speaking true altriusm doesn't exist, if the act has to be selfless mentally too.
I'd argue that pure altruism doesn't exist, but altruism itself can be a major factor in an individuals decision making process.

Altruism is not by definition illogical, I have yet to see you explain to me exactly how selflessnes directly means illogical, while everything can be part of a greater good.
There's no such (objective) thing as the 'greater good' and thus acting in its name is illogical.

Again, I ask for a logical basis in which one would deliberately disadvantage oneself, gaining neither a return or a full-return on their actions. It seems to me that any such action would be necessarily influenced by emotion.

I was stating my opinion and then giving a justification for it.
I was making the point that your opinion is irrelevent to whether something is logical or not.

Originally Posted by Gamma Male
I agree that for every decision we must make, there is ultimately one choice that is the most logical, but due to emotion and human error that one logical decision is oftentimes impossible to reach or realize.
I rethought this and realised I don't agree with this.

It implies an objective, but unknown, 'good' and 'bad' exist. I disagree.

When you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything.

Clinton 2016
The Crook We Can Trust
Vlerchan is online now   Reply With Quote