View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2014, 03:58 PM  
Vlerchan
Leftist Shill

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesee
Could you please explain to me how this is appearently a fact and not a question of philosophy?
Is their a rational justification for deliberately going out of ones way to harm oneself?

Quote:
The moment you choose to do something logicaly, you are doing it in your own interest, because everything you do is eventualy for yourself.
Okay. I accept your argument that altruism can't exit.

Would you say the urge to 'feel good about oneself' is more based in emotion or logic? Why do you 'feel good about yourself'?

Quote:
Just because it's not in your own interest doesn't mean it can't indirecty be to make yourself feel good.
I'm getting confused here.

Are you now changing your mind and saying that people do things out of pure altruism and not out of their own self-interest? If so then we are back to people acting illogically.

Quote:
But I think it is bad, and my opinion is true to me.
This implies that logic and what is logical is subjective.

By this logic, literally anything, from persecuting Irishmen to overdosing on cocaine, can be considered logical.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Male
Going against your self interest is logical if it helps others and reduces the total amount of suffering in the world. It doesn't matter if it's your suffering or not.
It's logical if it helps others when it reduces the amount of suffering in the world in your opinion.

There's nothing inherently good about helping people when it reduces the amount of suffering in the world.

Quote:
Whether or not binge drinking occasionally is logical or not depends on how much you enjoy it.
Would you agree with the statement: "It is logical because I believe it is logical"?

Quote:
I agree that for every decision we must make, there is ultimately one choice that is the most logical, but due to emotion and human error that one logical decision is oftentimes impossible to reach or realize.
I agree with this statement.

Quote:
Something being illogical is a perfectly meaningful criticism.
I'll get back to this when we're done with some of the other things I'm saying.

I still disagree however.

Quote:
Could you expand on why you think this is true?
I can't see a rational justification as to why deliberately going against ones own self-interest can be rational.

Quote:
But the feeling of suffering, the sensation itself, is always bad.
Suffering (n): the state of undergoing pain, distress, or hardship.

I disagree with the idea that if someone enjoys pain or hardship or duress then it is not suffering: if someone takes gratification out of suffering that doesn't mean that they are suffering (by the objective meaning of the word) any less. Whether or not suffering is a good or bad thing depends on the individual and the opinion as held by the individual.

Further, sexual sadists enjoy inflicting suffering - and thus enjoy the idea of suffering - but they might not necessarily enjoy suffering themselves

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"
Vlerchan is offline   Reply With Quote