View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:52 PM  
Vlerchan
Leftist Shill

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesee
No, that is actualy a logical decision based on information you know.
It's not a logical decision. Handing over money to people I don't know (anonymously) goes against my self-interest: it hurts me to be altruistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesee
You make a choice based on your own beleifs, not on the beleifs based on your faith.
I believe that my exterminating all Irish people I will be doing the world a favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese
Also, how were the two bolded texts contradicting each other?
You said that making illogical decision was bad but later changed it to making logical decisions was most likely resulting in something negative (i.e., bad). I see this as a contradiction.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Male
If you feel that the benefits of getting drunk outweigh the consequences, that's the logical thing to do.
I'd accept this if our opinions weren't influenced usually by our emotions. They are though. In my opinion the consequences of binge drinking are outweighed by the benefits. It's also might be my opinion (disclaimer: this time it's not) that the consequences of overdosing on cocaine are outweighed by the benefits. By your logic, which I don't consider logic, this is a perfectly logical formulation because I believe it's a perfectly logical formulation (see: circular reasoning).

Furthermore, logic is objective. In this case we might dispute the idea that the consequences of binge drinking are outweighed the benefits: now, if we were deducting this logically we could decide objectively which is better (to binge drink or not to binge drink) but because we're not deducting this logically and are rather going on our emotion-influenced opinions it is thus impossible to reach this objective logical conclusion. tl;dr (because that's explained awfully): If there's room for differing opinions surrounding a conclusion then it's by definition not the logical conclusion, because the logical conclusion would be objectively true.

Quote:
I think your views on logic are very misguided.
Heh.

Quote:
Do you disagree that faith is an irrational belief?
No. But I'm not disputing this.

I'm disputing the idea that something being illogical is a meaningful criticism.

Quote:
I think your views on logic are very misguided.
Hehx2.

Quote:
You seem to be confusing rationality with some selfish Ayn Rand style Objectivism.
Ayn Rand was correct in stating that moving against your own self-interest is illogical.

She was just incorrect to believe that people were logical beings to begin with.

Quote:
Reducing the amount of suffering in the world is a logical thing to do because suffering is bad.
You believe that suffering is bad. Suffering in itself is not inherently bad. It's actually illogical to believe so.

Your argument falls flat on that idea: it seeks to prove an action logical by taking the assumption that the outcome of that same action is logical.

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"
Vlerchan is offline   Reply With Quote