View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2014, 02:36 PM  
Vlerchan
Leftist Shill

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Male
I'm not demanding everybody adapt my worldview[1], I'm merely posting my opinions on the internet[2]:. I think faith is illogical[3], and ultimately detrimental to human society[4]. That's it. I'm not demanding everybody adapt to or agree with my opinion[5], I'm just stating it on a forum designed specifically so people can post their opinions[6].
[1]: I never said you were.

[2]: For what ends?

[3]: The main problem I have is that you a) Presume this is a meaningful criticism and b) Don't actually hold logically consistent views yourself.

[4]: Cool. Feel free to demonstrate how without pointing to fundamentalists.

[5]: Fantastic.

[6]: I'm aware of this.

Quote:
I just said I think relying on faith is illogical[7], and billions of people all relying on faith to make their decisions is dangerous[8].
[7]: It is. But it being illogical doesn't necessarily make it bad. I do lots of illogical things.

[8]: Feel free to expand here.

Quote:
I'm well aware that believing in a deity can have some positive psychological effects, but if nobody believed in God there would be other places for people to go to to feel a sense of belonging and to confide in someone[9]. Other than that, you're joking, right? Organized religion is good for society?[10]
[9]: I'm doubtful that people would find an as successful anchor.

[10]: I don't actually see the problem in it.

Quote:
Really? I don't see a problem with everyone acting rationally all the time. To me, that sounds like a perfect society.
I like getting drunk sometimes. I'm slowly killing myself but it's fun.

The world would be a very boring place if everyone acted rationally the entire time.

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"

Last edited by Vlerchan; June 10th, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
Vlerchan is offline   Reply With Quote