Thread: Drug Abuse Poll
View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2014, 03:05 PM  
jayce_xt
Member
 
jayce_xt's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 28, 2014
Gender: Male
Default Re: Drug Abuse Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuckphace427 View Post
ITT druggie logic on full display. yes everything you have ever been told about drugs was a LIE fabricated by the BIG MEAN GOVERNMENT because they're all a bunch of Buzz Killingtons who hate fun. breathless conspiracy theories about why drugs are "really" illegal...
If you'd read the scientific journals on the effects of these substances, you would realize quickly that the DEA's "findings" are bullshit. Remember that newscast a while back that showed a picture of MDMA "eating holes" in a person's brain?

Yeah. That was actually a SPECT scan measuring brain activity. The "holes" were simply areas of the brain that weren't active. No actual damage to the brain occurred. In fact, many reported dangers simply aren't true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misconceptions_about_drugs (yes, sources are cited)

As for why the government would outlaw drugs, it's quite simple: social control. Authoritarians love being able to tell people what to do. No need to be full-blown Buzz Killingtons, so long as they get to tell people what kind of fun they are and aren't allowed to have.

... no applause? No hooting laughter? Ah well. Humor aside, there is some truth to this. During the 1910s, the United States led a crusade against all habit-forming substances. At this point, this meant opium and marijuana. Why, though? The answer isn't terribly tricky. Every other site I've looked at cites "moral degeneration" as the reason behind the prohibition without any sort of proof to back it up. Sounds really familiar to the alcohol ban, doesn't it? "We can solve all of our problems if we just ban this one evil substance!" Completely illogical and unfounded beliefs that, nevertheless, had a strong following.

Thing is, politicians weren't terribly interested in issues of morality before. And they weren't at the time that these changes were proposed by religious lobbyists, either. But the instant someone threw race into the mix, the senators and house representatives were all too quick to eat it up:

http://ibw21.org/wp-content/uploads/...WarHistory.pdf

There's no conspiracy here. It's just the same thing that's been repeated throughout history, time and again: governments refusing to mention or acknowledge embarrassing truths. The movement against drugs may have started by irrational moral crusaders without a leg to stand on, but it was given credence and support by people in positions of power to serve their own interests. Government officials lying isn't anything new. With the empirical research available now, demonstrating that the DEA's claims were false isn't difficult at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuckphace427 View Post
... and personal anecdotes about the noble tweaker who is a straight A student and pillar of the community are unbelievably worn and tattered.
Are you trying to imply that they aren't true, or just stating the obvious (that they've been made for a very, very long time)? Because if you're trying to prove something, you should probably provide some evidence to back it up. Otherwise, you're just making baseless assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuckphace427 View Post
no matter how many times a druggie tries to justify his dysfunction with this sort of glib hand-waving, the fact remains that hard drugs continue to destroy thousands of lives and erode communities. here in Oklahoma there are numerous towns that were once quiet farming communities, but are now mini-Detroits with rampant drug-related crime and violence. property values have sunk into the ground, you can buy a three-bedroom house in some places for as little as $5,000 if you don't mind that its previous owner cooked meth in it or that there is a crack house operating next door.
You still haven't shown conclusively that drugs have caused this. In order to show direct causal links, you need to demonstrate how it happens. Otherwise, you're not saying anything. You might as well have written:

"no matter how many times a black person tries to justify his dysfunction with this sort of glib hand-waving, the fact remains that black people continue to destroy thousands of lives and erode communities. here in Missouri there are numerous towns that were once quiet farming communities, but are now mini-Detroits with rampant black-related crime and violence. property values have sunk into the ground, you can buy a three-bedroom house in some places for as little as $5,000 if you don't mind that its previous owner was black in it or that there is a black family operating next door."

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuckphace427 View Post
for you druggie apologists who are preaching about "moderation", why exactly do you think drugs are illegal? I'll tell you why - people in this day and age have almost no personal responsibility or grasp of the concept of moderation or restraint, which is partially why we have so many addicts running around.
Actually, drugs are illegal because of the combination of moral crusading and racism. And if "people in this day and age have almost no personal responsibility or grasp of the concept of moderation or restraint," why aren't our crime rates more similar to those in civil war-ridden Africa, where warlords kill, rape, and pillage as they see fit? Your argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuckphace427 View Post
up until the turn of the 20th century you could go to the pharmacist, buy a bottle of heroin and get fucked up on it if you wanted to - BUT almost nobody did, the difference between then and now. if we legalized heroin in that manner today, our countries would collapse in about a month.
Actually, violent gangs who sell drugs would be run out of business and forced to find a new line of work. They'd more than likely actually work in legitimate drug-related industry, seeing as they have so much experience in the field, and violent drug-related crimes would see a massive drop. The reason they sell drugs, after all, is because it's so lucrative. And it's lucrative only because of the price on the black market. Take away the black market, and suddenly, they no longer need to resort to illegitimate means. Violence isn't a necessity any longer to safeguard their profits. There are no more profits to be made on a non-existent black market. What are they going to do, beat people up and force them to buy drugs at a higher price than what industrialized manufacturing can sell it for?

Being the sound businessmen that they are, I think they'd just as soon try and secure a well-paying job in the new industry without all the risk and hassle of dealing their product on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuckphace427 View Post
here in 2014 we have the drug laws that our society deserves. if most of us weren't hedonistic and infantile kids-with-kids who don't learn the facts of life until our 30s, the laws could be different, but unfortunately that's the way it is.
And just what are the facts of life, phuckphace?
jayce_xt is offline   Reply With Quote