Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2014, 12:36 PM  
Leftist Shill
Vlerchan's Forum Picture
Default Re: Religion

Originally Posted by rogoshtalmour View Post
You're touching on a major problem I have with many religions and what they cause - this being the most neutral term I could think of -their adherents to do: defer their morality to character X or book Y or Deity Z; adopt unthinkingly, unquestionably the views of some apparently 'benevolent' authority - generally an alien one; one supposedly incomprehensible to its subjects (and thus impossible to question); above them. You seem the perfect example of this thinking: you didn't answer my question, didn't tell me what you think about both genocide and infanticide, but rather told me that it was God's will.

Those that go against God are evil by definition.
Being labelled 'evil' for moving against infanticide (and genocide) is certainly a new one, anyway.

I seem to recall the Amalekites (along with many other people groups back then) committed child sacrifice.
The Amalekites - as far as I'm aware - were entirely fictional and I've encountered not a single reference towards them outside of the bible; within the bible I've also encountered no reference of them committing child sacrifice - God orders David - or Saul; maybe both. I forget - to murder them all because they once attacked the Jewish people; God wanted revenge, simply. (On a side note: I distinctly remember God commanding Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac (?) in Genesis; it'd be rather hypocritical to murder an entire nation of people for such a 'crime' then in that case, wouldn't it?)

Though it's interesting that you would try to defend infanticide (not to mention genocide) with allegations of infanticide against the defenders; that actually only makes it worse. It's nonsensical, frankly; why murder the children of the child-murderers; what does that actually achieve?

There's millions upon millions of people who will never come into contact with the ideas of Christianity - nomadic, isolationist tribal groups, for example. They've no choice.

Did you know the philosophies of Karl Marx and Nietzche influenced Russia and Germany a lot in the early 1900's and are indirectly responsible for hundreds of millions of deaths. They held atheistic philosophies by the way. Certainly Stalin was an atheist.
The teachings of the bible - and other theistic texts - have influenced hundreds of states throughout history - and by your reasoning then: billions of deaths.

When you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything.

Clinton 2016
The Crook We Can Trust
Vlerchan is offline   Reply With Quote