View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2014, 02:27 AM  
rogoshtalmour
Banned

Name: David
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan View Post
It neither says nor implies this anywhere in her post(s).

The rest is some of the most obvious and horrible strawman-ing I've read on this board. This point is interesting though:

The bible is a truly awful source of morality; borderline-batshit-crazy in parts. Here's a great example:

"This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'" 1 Samuel 15:3.

I personally find genocide (and infanticide) wrong regardless of the Lord Almighty stance on such is. You?
Your premise is flawed. You find the idea of genocide and infanticide wrong regardless of God's stance on it. But you have to carry that argument to its logical conclusion. If God does exist and He being a perfect being by definition then if He chooses to wipe out a certain people group He must be right in doing so. For you to say otherwise is simply putting yourself in His place, which is of course what the first sin was to begin with. Everything you have just said reveals that you are rebelling against God. God is perfect good. God is also sovereign. Those that go against God are evil by definition. The only reason any of us think otherwise is because of our fallen sin nature. I include myself in that statement because yes there have been times when I have had my doubts too about his actions both in history and even sometimes today I have to ask myself why He allows this or that to happen. Ultimately I realize most of what He allows to happen that is bad is because He is allowing Human free will. I have to check myself when I question Him though. How can I a mere human who has a limited vision of things presume to know better than God. Also if you think the Amalekites were just normal happy go lucky people you are dead wrong. I seem to recall the Amalekites (along with many other people groups back then) committed child sacrifice. It is funny people cry out today asking why God allows this or that evil act and yet when God takes a stance against evil and punishes it people cry out and call him evil for doing so. He can't really win in some peoples eyes can he? To those who choose to rebel against Him no matter what He does they will see it as wrong. I for one am happy to let Him do what He thinks is best rather than what I think is best. That is where my faith comes in.
rogoshtalmour is offline   Reply With Quote