Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2014, 07:18 PM  
Hallie

Name: Hallie
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogoshtalmour View Post
No my only intent was to establish whether or not you want free will? Though it seems to me you have already revealed what you really want is autonomous free will meaning you want free will without consequence for anything you might choose to do. And well that is nothing but a childish view of the world. There is cause and effect. So everything we do has a consequence. You want the freedom to do what you want but face no consequence. You even want to use the excuse that most are children who just didn't know any better. The Bible tried to tell people a better way to behave but they choose to ignore it. No i am afraid ignorance is not and can not be an excuse. People know what the right things to do are but they actively choose to do evil. And if God exists then He gets to choose what is good and what is evil and for you to say He is wrong in his choices makes you supremely arrogant. It would be you arguing that you know better than the person who knows everything because God by definition knows everything. Sorry for run on sentences and even not splitting this up into paragraphs but most of the time I just don't care about grammar online. Feel free to toss my argument aside because of grammar but keep in mind that would be ad hominem which is a fallacy.
I like your point; it shows me that you are intelligent, but I want to be clear with you that I am not asking for autonomous free will. Yes, it is true that I think burning your children for eternity is a bit harsh for doing one bad deed in life. All I'm saying is that the punishment is unjust, not that there shouldn't be a punishment. For example, when your child makes a mess of the house, you send them to a time out until dinner time. This gives them time to think about what they've done and come to the conclusion that they were wrong, and so they can learn from it and do better later on in life. But in hell, you can never escape, no matter how much you are sorry for what you did. There is no redemption. In god's eyes, there is only good and evil. I see much more to the human species. I don't think that everything is so black and white, but that there are shades of gray. And just because you've done a bad thing, does that necessarily make you a bad person? All I'm saying is that it seems unfair for god to punish his own children and cause them agony for an eternity. Think about that for a second. An eternity. A whole day, burning in agonizing pain would be horrible. A year, inhuman. a thousand, unbelievable. How about a million? and a billion? a trillion? a hundred trillion? ten hundred trillion? Not even. None of these lengths of time come close. Can you imagine? Being tortured non stop for an eternity? Does that sound like an all loving, forgiving god to you?
Listen, I very much enjoy debating with you. I would like to continue, because you seem very knowledgeable on the subject, and I am looking to understand. I always try to keep an open mind. I was wondering if you could answer this question for me: Why christianity? Why do you choose to be a christian? I am assuming that you think all other religions are false, yes? So why do you think christianity is the true religion? What makes christianity more valid than all the other thousands of religions that have existed during the course of history?

I'm sorry if I came off a bit rude. I'm sorry if I offended you. I am just very passionate about this subject and would like to share my views. And I want you to know that disliking the beliefs is not the same thing as disliking the person, just like hating the sin is different than hating the sinner

Last edited by Hallie; January 8th, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Hallie is offline   Reply With Quote