Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:49 AM  
Sorge's Forum Picture
Name: Ryan
Default Re: Religion

I used to be Methodist Christian, but denounced my faith a few months ago. I'm now Agnostic. My parents are Catholic and Baptist and Texas is a pretty religious place, so it's somewhat of a secret to people I know in real life. Anyways, this is about my personal opinion, so here we go.

The ideology of Agnosticism is, essentially, that the existence of any kind of supreme being is unknown, and that you cannot prove or disprove any kind of deities actually existing. I follow this pretty much down to the letter, and it makes sense to me. The thing about religion being black and white for me is dumb. Think about all the religions in the world. There's hundreds, maybe thousands. I see no reason why one group would believe they were correct while there are so many other people who have completely separate beliefs. I'm going to use Christianity as an example here, simply as it's the one I have the most... experience... with. The way I was raised was all that "All other religions are wrong and everyone who isn't Christian is going to Hell" and "Homosexuality is a sin blah blah blah homophobic bullshit". Now don't take that as an insult, that's simply how I was raised and how my family wanted me to be. I'm 100% tolerant of all beliefs, and, while I may strongly oppose them, people have the right to believe whatever they want. And I got really off there, so let's try to get back on track. I simply don't see the logic in thinking like that, as well as just the existence of gods in general. And I'm not negatively biased towards Theism of any kind, same goes for Atheism. I can't explicitly say weather a god exists or not, or why things are the way they are, be it through creation by some supreme being, or a completely natural, physical occurence. As for fighting between different beliefs, I really don't see the point of it. Let people think how they like, plain and simple. This kinda fell apart and got extremely basic fast, so I think I'm just gonna end it here.

TL;DR: I am Agnostic because I don't think people are meant to know why things are the way they are, both Theism and Atheism seem illogical to me, and though I don't necessarily agree with various beliefs, people have the right to believe whatever they want.
Sorge is offline   Reply With Quote