View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:27 AM  
Vlerchan
Leftist Shill

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthearth View Post
[...] abiogenisis [...] basic cell division, [...] something rather than nothing [...] p-consciousness [...] non-guided evolution from non-living matter [...]
I've no idea where you're getting this notion that because science is as of yet to prove or disprove certain phenomenon it gives a rational basis for an Intelligent Designer to exist. That, in its simplest form, is a non sequitur; and really - honestly - doesn't help in the slightest in proving your point - which is that there is some rational basis for the existence of God(?). I, in any case; having dropped most sciences by the age of sixteen, I don't even know where to begin in explaining those phenomenon, but the internet is a wide place; I'm sure you'll find experts who give you a much more satisfying answer that 'God did it'. Which brings me to my question: before Einstein published his theory on special relativity, did that make relativity any more to do with God, and any less to do with nature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthearth View Post
Well, don't forget to explain the life reviews and personal commentary from a separate entity of light many people get when they temporarily die, or how they meet family they never knew about before (but confirmed after they "came back").[...]
Some people also claim to have seen ghosts. Hearsay doesn't prove God at any rate.

I've no idea what you're trying to get across in the second part - the section I edited out. I'd appreciate if you dumbed it down a bit.

Quote:
Your comment about deferred morality neglects that we theists have a personal relationship with God, we don't just mimic what we read thoughtlessly, we are on a walk with a living God.
If you say so.

Tricky Questions for Christians (in no order - other than the order I thought them up in a five minute brainstorming session):
The Creation Myth: Why are we still suffering from the consequences of original sin - that your entire faith is based on - when the events that make of Creation have been proven not to have happened.
Creation Itself: You made the point that something can't come out of nothing - or at least science can't prove it can yet. Where did God come from?
Intelligent Evolution: Why do I still have my appendix?
Omnipresence: If God is everywhere does that mean he is also in Hell? (not so much a tricky question as an amusing one here)
The Afterlife & Luck: In order to achieve ever-lasting-life - and all that jazz - one must accept Christ as their personal saviour. How exactly is this fair on those born outside Christian homes - specifically those born in brutal theocracies - where converting will literally get you hanged - and tribal groups that will most likely never even come into contact with the idea. Is it right that they're basically destined to hell because of where they were born?
Human Suffering: Why does God allow it go on?

Now, answer the questions or don't answer the questions. It's a pointless exercise, anyway. Neither of us - generalising from experience - are going to approach this conversation with open minds, and won't consider the others points longer than it takes to debunk them. It's why I don't like debating religion. I probably won't respond again unless I haven't seen something I've seen before.

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"
Vlerchan is offline   Reply With Quote